Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old April 23rd, 2017, 09:30 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Are there any guidelines as to what we can nominate?
Old April 24th, 2017, 12:02 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Get the creator's okay, make sure it's been tested, and that the mini is available pre-painted (think 50 'Scapers' worth). That's the quick and dirty version.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old April 24th, 2017, 12:11 AM

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun

Gotcha! And can we nominate our own?
Old April 24th, 2017, 12:12 AM

Nevermind, answered that myself. Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:23 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Tetraites by @Sir Heroscape

Einar may have decided that this merciless combatant was not a good fit for his forces, but Utgar likes what he has to offer, even if he isn't at his best without inspiration or a taste of freedom.

Balance

The 110pt price tag makes Tetraites the highest-cost Gladiator not named Spartacus, though not by a large margin. The biggest question in terms of balance is how well does his peers. He's difficult to compare to Priscus due to Priscus having different uses and not often being seen in Spartacus builds. Against Retiarius and Crixus he compares pretty well. Stats-wise he's the same, while the decent chance for an auto-wound in addition to his normal attack is pretty valuable and can easily make up the price difference.

Theme

We already have a few Gladiators in the game to serve as somewhat of a thematic template. Tetraites breaks from this mold, however. Does it work? The change in general and personality definitely work well here. Combining Utgar, Merciless, and the theme of Finishing Blow paint a pretty clear picture of what this guy is like even without having to read the bio. Also remember that this isn't the first time Utgar has snatched up a less-savory member of another general's faction.

Creativity

As I mentioned under Theme, the combination of left-side stats, power name, and general together paint a picture of what this guy is like. The powers aren't especially flashy, but they're useful and easy to understand. A solid package.

Playability

Like most Gladiators, Tetraites likes to be around other Gladiators. Spartacus's Inspiration is a great boost to Tetraites's already good stats, and of course free turns from Bonding are wonderful. In that build yes, Tetraites is a beast, but so are the other Gladiator Heroes. The same is true for Priscus builds, to a lesser extent. The question is how well the Merciless one distinguishes himself.

Outside of their stats the Gladiator Heroes do different things: Retiarius has an offensive ability, while Crixus is a defensive beast. Priscus is mainly useful for his adjacency boost, but also provides a special attack which is situationally useful. Tetraites is offensively-minded, but does so differently than Retiarius or even Priscus with his auto-wound power in addition to his normal attack. Adding another source of damage into the steamroller is really powerful, even with its limitations, and in some circumstances it's especially good to have auto-wound potential. Finishing Blow is not nearly as directly useful, but it gives him an anti-hero ability to complement the anti-squad Spiked Gauntlet. Together they make the Merciless one a threat to most opponents.

The combination also makes Tetraites interesting to play with important decisions to be made each turn. The potential of Finishing Blow suggests he should go after heroes, but Spiked Gauntlet only works on squad figures. Obviously the optimal use is to move adjacent to both a hero and a squad figure, but that may be risky or even impossible, especially if the opponent is taking Tetraites's abilities into account. He makes both players think about their moves, and that's a good thing.

Outside of Gladiator builds, Tetraites is an ok beatstick that's difficult to maximize. Without Capuan friends it's quite a bit more dangerous to charge into enemy lines to engage both a hero and a squad figure, plus the loss of Inspiration weakens his defenses. Beatsticks are generally best utilized in one-on-one fights or edge skirmishes; for Tetraites that means he often doesn't get the advantage of being able to wound two figures. Still, solid stats, an auto-wound, and a hero-killing ability make him useful for his points.

Summary

The theme is unique for a Human Gladiator and well-represented, and the powers are useful and lead to interesting play. So ultimately it comes down to how he compares against other Gladiators, does he obsolete them, or is he himself not worth drafting over the others. It's a little difficult because Crixus is almost always awesome and serves as the backbone of the steamroller while Retairius is too retricted and unreliable to be used much. I'd say that overall Tetraites is somewhere between the two (leaning more to the Crixus side), which is about as good as such as unit should be.

I vote Yea to induct Tetraites into the SoV.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

Viceron the Blood Knight by Ixe
In a whirlwind of blood and dark magic Viceron the Blood Knight storms across the battlefield, bent on destroying all that stand in his way. Will his merciless attack make him a valued member of Utgar forces, or is he just another anemic warrior best left off the fields of Valhalla.

Balance
In Heroscape, 130 seems to be as cursed as the number 13, with a number of swingy, niche, or outright bad figures occupying that total. Comparing Viceron to any of them seems fairly futile, so instead it is worth taking a moment to look at his damage output, survivability, and threat range. From a damage output perspective he “could” attack 18 units for 4 attack; in practice however that number will is far lower. Yet, Bloodstorm Ritual is still a significantly powerful attack and a clear threat, which can lead to suboptimal play for your opponent. For survivability 4 life backed by 5 defense dice can be quickly whittled away by multiple attacks. You can safely rely on healing when facing squads due to the heavy 5 attack, but better hope for stray figures to avoid being swarmed. Viceron is lacking in threat range with only 5 move and 2 range on his special attack, meaning a heavy cost of order makers in the early or mid-game sacrificing board control for a chance to clear the board. All things considered his high stats are reflective of his correspondingly high price of an (almost) melee un-synergizing hero.

Theme
As I have said before, I consider it mandatory for the figure, unit name, trait box, special powers, and stat box to all align to give a clear impression of the theme the designer was aiming for. In this respect Ixe hit the mark. Subtle things like the figure having heavy armor and a high defense and low move stat make a design feel more cohesive. Viceron doesn’t even need the subtitle of “Blood Knight” since his figure, stats and traits tell us he is a knight that uses blood magic, but Heroscape is not shy with subtitles so it works. I really like when a figures personality gives a hint to how to play them. In this case merciless is a great choice as it indicated that you shouldn’t hold anything back when fielding Viceron. To me Viceron’s theme is up there with Krug and Siege, and it is one of the more endearing parts of the units design.

Creativity
I may be repeating the other judges, but the combination of a self-healing power and a potentially devastating self-wounding power is something I’m surprised has not been proposed before. As with the original design, the risker design choice of 4 life/5 defense rather than 5 life/4 defense really serves the design making the figure more exciting/stressful to play while also pushing the merciless personally. I appreciate both these choices and believe they serve Viceron’s design well.

Playability
This might seem like an odd comparison but fielding Viceron felt a lot like pre-Greenscales Braxas. Both figures encouraged risky play in sending them out early to wipe out as many commons as possible, before they ultimately fall leaving the board cleared for heavy hitter to mop up any stronger remaining forces. Of course Viceron has a lower point total, a shorter range and cannot fly, but the feeling of risk is still there. I tried playing Viceron in the mid and endgame as well, but I keep getting drawn back to the Opening Bloodstorm Gambit. Don’t get me wrong it is very much a gamble, which when it pays off can secure an early lead, or when it fails leaves your remaining forces at a distinct disadvantage.

Playing him this way makes him like a revers clean up hero, and as such he plays well with certain units. For example one of my favourite parings was with Venoc Vipers who were able to shine, if Viceron was able to clear out multiple attacks from opponent’s squads, since the Venocs don’t care how strong an attack is, just how many. In fact I found Viceron worked well with both fast but frail or slow but stout units, since both are willing to give up board control in order to facing fewer multiple attacks. It was this soft synergy with some lesser used squads which I enjoyed most when drafting and playing armies with Viceron.

I found the utility of Sanguine Sword was dependant on the skill of my opponent. If my opponent opted to rush Viceron or divided their army across the board, without having sufficient figures to reinforce losses, Viceron had time to use his Sword to heal up before taking on the next swarm. If on the other hand a player wisely set up their attacks so they could sustain repeated attacks until Viceron fell, it always felt wiser to keep the blood flowing even until he bled out, since even after a successful heal it felt unlikely he would survive another round of attacks.

Summary
As a fairly swingy unit I do not expect Viceron to become a tournament staple, but that can be said about the bulk of classic figures. Viceron is exactly the type of figure I imagine a new or younger player to draft. He is powerful; you get to throw lots of dice and can do well with a simple kamikaze strategy. This coupled with the challenge of figuring out which units are best to bring to mop up his bloody mess makes him SoV worthy to me.

I vote to induct Viceron.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:33 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Viceron the Blood Knight by @Ixe has received 4 Yea votes to induct (superfrog, Soundwarp SG-1, Scytale, and wriggz) and moves forward in the process.
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:02 AM

Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness Leaf_It wears ripped pants of awesomeness

From what I have found, No one really submits more than 1 custom here at a time. Would it be seen badly if I wanted to submit more customs here? I would of course remember my past mistakes, and take more time to refine, and ensure they are ready... but if I had 2 or 3 customs ready at the same time, would anyone be opposed to it?
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
From what I have found, No one really submits more than 1 custom here at a time. Would it be seen badly if I wanted to submit more customs here? I would of course remember my past mistakes, and take more time to refine, and ensure they are ready... but if I had 2 or 3 customs ready at the same time, would anyone be opposed to it?
I'm pretty sure some people have had multiple units in the SoV pipeline at the same time. There's certainly no rule against it. You would be frowned upon for monopolizing our time, but two or possibly even three would be ok.
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I'm pretty sure some people have had multiple units in the SoV pipeline at the same time. There's certainly no rule against it. You would be frowned upon for monopolizing our time, but two or possibly even three would be ok.
It would be a function of the unit. If it goes through the SoV workshop, has input from others (not necessarily judges), clearly has been playtested, and is something I'm excited about, It wouldn't matter who the submitter is and how many of their designs are going through the system. That said each submission would have to be better than the last.

There is always the Faction route to go, which allows for multiple submissions in one go.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Heroscape is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Does the SoV require a squad submission to have unique figure molds? In other words...can I have a squad of 3 using all the same miniature?

It's mainly due to lack of other viable figures that fit the theme.
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Does the SoV require a squad submission to have unique figure molds? In other words...can I have a squad of 3 using all the same miniature?

It's mainly due to lack of other viable figures that fit the theme.
As a general rule, they need to all be unique molds. There are exceptions, though. The Red Ants use a single figure; in that case, the figures would be expected to look almost the same anyway. That would not be the case for a squad of, say, dwarves.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs