Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old January 21st, 2017, 08:07 PM

Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker
Blubberguy22's Molding and Casting (Mis)adventures

I have started working on making molds and casts for custom Heroscape tiles. This is where I'm going to post updates and details about it.

What I've made so far (besides the bad/ugly stuff, see the full posts for those):

Last one is a preview on what I'm posting next

Post 1 - January 21st, 2017, 08:07 PM EST
Spoiler Alert!

Post 2 - January 30th, 2017, 05:24 PM EST
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Blubberguy22; January 30th, 2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old January 27th, 2017, 03:05 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Blubberguy22's Customs Thread - Tips Wanted

There's the design I created for 3D printing a waterfall tile; I made a number of variations in different heights, because the Customizer on Thingiverse can't handle dependent files, and the OpenSCAD code for the tile loads a texture image for the actual face of the waterfall, so it's not just a smooth plane. I suppose that I could go back and write a parametric surface for it at some point.
Old January 30th, 2017, 05:24 PM

Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker

So I got my molding stuff in the mail a few days ago and couldn't wait to start (I didn't even go to bed and started at 12:24 because I'm so impatient).
Anyways, I decided to start simple, with a water tile. I picked one of my mostly scratch-free water tiles and got to work. I thought it would be wise to do a two-part mold so that even though I'd use more silicone rubber I'd use less resin in the end. Also it'd be more true to the original Heroscape tiles. I suspended the tile using wooden skewers and make a key (not pictured, I added after taking the picture) with another wooding skewer hanging down past the tile.

Then I mixed my rubber together and let it cure overnight (I used Oomoo 30).

After that the water tile fell out and I figured I'd make a cast of half of the mold to see how the surface turned out. It was kind of bubbly (I used Amazing casting resin from Alumilite)

Then I proceeded to do the second half of the mold and waited for it to cure.

After that I did a cast with the two parts, but it seemed kind of flimsy and it was a hassle to get to work and to prevent giant bubbles from forming in it.

Since the resulting cast was kind of ugly I knew I had to try something else. I used hot glue and glued a tile down to a plate and then cut off the bottom of a clear plastic disposable cup and hot glued that around the tile and onto the plate. Then I mixed and poured in my silicone rubber.

This mold turned out much better, and there wasn't a single air bubble on the surface of the tile face.

This one looked much more promising, so I mixed up some resin and cast a new tile. It came out perfectly, an exact replica of my original water tile save for the color and lack of hollow bottom. I put it in my toaster oven because it was still a little soft and needed heat to fully cure it.

That's all for now, but there's more to come! Thanks for taking a look
Old January 30th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
There's the design I created for 3D printing a waterfall tile; I made a number of variations in different heights, because the Customizer on Thingiverse can't handle dependent files, and the OpenSCAD code for the tile loads a texture image for the actual face of the waterfall, so it's not just a smooth plane. I suppose that I could go back and write a parametric surface for it at some point.
I saw those while browsing the 3D printer customs here; really cool stuff! I wish I had a 3D printer to test these things out, it'd be great fun. Hopefully I can find someone who will let me use theirs
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:12 AM

darius23__14 knows what's in an order marker darius23__14 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Blubberguy22's Molding and Casting (Mis)adventures

Could you tell us what you used to make the molds and how it feels in comparison to the original stuff and about how much it takes of what you get? I intend to make molds of some original sculpts but am not sure if the kits would be worth the money.
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:51 PM

Re: Blubberguy22's Molding and Casting (Mis)adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius23__14 View Post
Could you tell us what you used to make the molds and how it feels in comparison to the original stuff and about how much it takes of what you get? I intend to make molds of some original sculpts but am not sure if the kits would be worth the money.
I used Oomoo 30 to make my molds (the amount I used depended on how large the vessel I was using, but you can definitely get a decent amount of molds out of it (and these molds can be used to make many castings). I bought it for $27.22 (free shipping). For the resin I used Alumilite Amazing Casting Resin which was two 8oz bottles, or 236mL. For the solid water tiles I used 4mL of each part of the resin, which would theoretically allow for 59 castings. This resin I bought for $16.76 (free shipping). That's just under 30 cents per tile (less than the normal price for original tiles, and the resin ones have much more customization, like with color or embedded patterns/textures).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles