Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Notices

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Suggestions for the Online Heroscape Organizers

I think it has something to do with potential negative effects of the diceoff equalizer with constantly alternating formats. Some formats have more significant diceoffs than others (not as much this season, but definitely in some of the past alternate format seasons). A player is far more likely to keep winning/losing the diceoff when it matters more if the formats constantly alternate.
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:51 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Well, you would still be alternating, save perhaps for the regular season/playoff divide --and if some people have play-in games while others do not, it wouldn't reliably double up rounds there, either. Only actual random rounds would get rid of that effect, and that has its own issues.

Last edited by dok; March 17th, 2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: dice-off is overrated blah blah
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:29 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I would like to see the starting format randomized when doing an alternating format tournament.

To clarify, for example if you are doing alternating Army Draft-PYP (Pick your poison) then randomize which of those you are starting with for round 1 or round 1 of the playoffs.
I have a hard time seeing why this is desirable. Is it just that you don't want people to design their armies with an eye towards the round 1 format? I don't think many (well, any) people are doing that.
It shouldn't be too hard. With a (typically) odd number of playoff rounds in a given tournament, the 'non standard' format will get used less.

I am suggesting that format chances be equalized.
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:28 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

OK, that makes sense. I'm not opposed in principle, however, I have a bias the other way. Not because I necessarily prefer Army Draft to PyP or Heat to Chaos, but because the former formats are (slightly) simpler or more familiar to our players than the latter formats. As such, it allows us to ease into the event a little more easily, particularly for the new players in a given event.
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:33 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Suggestion:

After the first round of each tournament starts, release the order of the maps to be used. Some people seem to already know, and it's only fair if everybody knows.

I would actually support randomly choosing which of the remaining maps should be used at the beginning of every round rather than having it predetermined.

Last edited by superfrog; March 18th, 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
After the first round of each tournament starts, release the order of the maps to be used. Some people seem to already know, and it's only fair if everybody knows.
I wouldn't frame this as a fairness issue, since there's no real advantage to knowing the order once the event starts. The random order is not determined until after everyone has submitted armies and we are rolling out the first round, so it's not as though the organizers have a chance to tailor their army builds to the order of the rounds.

I mean, I guess you could practice on maps ahead of time, but everyone can do that for all the maps, or you can do that the week of. And I actually question the advantage of practice games, anyway - I think they mislead people quite often.

Quote:
I would actually support randomly choosing which of the remaining maps should be used at the beginning of every round rather than having it predetermined.
This is really just an administrative issue; it's easier for us to set a (random) map order once, at the beginning of round one, so that we can more easily set up the rounds when the time comes.

That said, sure, we could announce the order at the start of round 1 in the future.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:20 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't frame this as a fairness issue, since there's no real advantage to knowing the order once the event starts. The random order is not determined until after everyone has submitted armies and we are rolling out the first round, so it's not as though the organizers have a chance to tailor their army builds to the order of the rounds.

I mean, I guess you could practice on maps ahead of time, but everyone can do that for all the maps, or you can do that the week of. And I actually question the advantage of practice games, anyway - I think they mislead people quite often.

Quote:
This is really just an administrative issue; it's easier for us to set a (random) map order once, at the beginning of round one, so that we can more easily set up the rounds when the time comes.

That said, sure, we could announce the order at the start of round 1 in the future.
I realize it's not a huge deal, and that the organizers don't have an advantage in picking armies. But I still would appreciate the extra info.
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:39 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Yeah we can put that map info up after round 1 is rolled. To be honest, I never even look at what maps are what round. I usually find out when my game is posted just like everyone else.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:59 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So this is an idea I had, not sure if it will actually be able to work out. Some of you may be Magic The Gathering players, and thus will know that in Competitive play, there is a Sideboard, where you can swap out some cards of your deck (15 I think, it's 10 in one variant I play), for cards in your deck. It helps make it so your army is a little better all around. So could we have a sideboard of 1 or 2 heroes or squads under 200 points total (so you can have say Marcus Decimus Gallus and Syvarris). The army point total maybe needs fixing (it's just a number I thought would be good for variety). Some figures will probably also need to be banned from the Sideboard (such as Raelin, Deathreavers, etc.). Thoughts? It probably isn't good, but it's just a thought I had and I thought I'd share it just in case.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old March 28th, 2015, 01:42 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Could be fun to try online. I think 'Scapers have tried it before, though; see @Aldin 's title.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:07 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Could be fun to try online. I think 'Scapers have tried it before, though; see @Aldin 's title.
That's a CoN reference. A sideboard could be finicky in online. Not impossible but finicky.

~Dysole, who often forgotten about the sideboard in Magic
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:50 PM

Sideboards have definitely been done in live events. It would not be too tricky to manage in an online event.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events