Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:49 AM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

DC Deck Builder Forever Evil Expansion: Ive still got mixed feelings about this deck builder but I do like this expansion more so than the original. Lots of ways to destroy cards. The randomness still brings me down but it could also be because I haven't picked up on the strategies and things just appear random.

Shadows of Brimstone
: My daughter is really into this one way more than me. Currently Im just not finding any strategies or tactics to the game. Most of my enjoyment is coming from watching my daughter play and the upgrading of my character. I love Flying Frog and Ameritrash games and FFP seems to do them right. But with SoB I can't seem to get into the theme during the actual game because of how much dice are being rolled. At first I thought this was just due to lack of understanding the rules. I fully understand whats going on mechanically its just drawing me away from it thematically. It also seems to only be one strategy of bottle neck the passage and hope you roll better dice than the monsters. Now maybe this will change with more than 2 players and I do understand theres a couple times you may not be able to get into position right away and have to risk an extra "Holding back the darkness roll" but I just feel there is a severe lack of choices during the game. Especially once a tile has already been scavenged. Is there anything in Swamps of Death that may help with this or is it just more of the same? Am I missing some kind of strategy? We'll keep working through these characters and maybe things will change as they get better and we see stronger monsters.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:24 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Did some great playtest games last night with [I]Sherman Davies[/I] for his brand new LOTR customs, which are probably some of the most popular individual designer cards on the site. Check out his LOTR customs thread soon for these four new cards!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Surprisingly did not play anything over New Year's eve or the following day, but I picked up Dominion: Dark Ages at the gift exchange with the in-laws. I'm looking forward to trying it in a few months--it looks like it offers some pretty interesting new dynamics. We will finish trying out all the new Cornucopia preset decks before we start trying Dark Ages though. It won't be long before I have a complete set of Dominion!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:29 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Gloom
Fun Gloom trivia... The designed created the game because his wife didn't like playing games where she had to hurt other people, so in Gloom you have to make other players' families happier in order to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
It won't be long before I have a complete set of Dominion!
And then the new expansion will be released.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:08 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just got done with a small game day with @OverEngineered and @Legos of Bleakewoode . We played Robo Rally, Sheriff of Nottingham, Ghost Stories, Splendor, and Dominion. I won RR with an * due to early conveyor belt shenanigans. It was really close, so we'll call it a tie. OE won SoN with 140 something I think, LoB was close 2nd, and I was way behind with some horrible reads as Sheriff. Not shockingly, we were destroyed by Ghost Stories, but it is still one of my new favorites. My first game of Splendor did not go too well as OE took it rather easily. I am not sure what the fuss is about this game other than it probably makes a good family game and the components are nice. I am sure my daughter would like it. We closed with Dominion, which LoB and I hadn't played in a few years, but is as good as remember. Solid, but not flashy, deck builder. I eeked out victory by a Duchy over OE, 36-33-29. Fun spur of the moment game day. Sadly, slackers @Dad_Scaper and @akden weren't able to make it due to "family" commitments. I am a glass half empty guy, so it sounded like "I have no commitment to gaming" to me. Maybe next time.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; January 2nd, 2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Just got done with a small game day with @OverEngineered and @Legos of Bleakewoode . We played Robo Rally, Sheriff of Nottingham, Ghost Stories, Splendor, and Dominion. I won RR with an * due to early conveyor belt shenanigans. It was really close, so we'll call it a tie. OE won SoN with 140 something I think, LoB was close 2nd, and I was way behind with some horrible reads as Sheriff. Not shockingly, we were destroyed by Ghost Stories, but it is still one of my new favorites. My first game of Splendor did not go too well as OE took it rather easily. I am not sure what the fuss is about this game other than it probably makes a good family game and the components are nice. I am sure my daughter would like it. We closed with Dominion, which LoB and I hadn't played in a few years, but is as good as remember. Solid, but not flashy, deck builder. I eeked out victory by a Duchy over OE, 33-33-29. Fun spur of the moment game day. Sadly, slackers @Dad_Scaper and @akden weren't able to make it due to "family" commitments. I am a glass half empty guy, so it sounded like "I have no commitment to gaming" to me. Maybe next time.

Funny stuff there G-O. Are DS and Akden related and had the same family commitment?

I just got Splendor from Miniature Market as it was on sale for $20. I've played it a dozen times with other people's game, so now I can have it to try it with my daughters. Many in my group really enjoy it for some reason. It's simple, fast, the components are great and it's just something to it that we like.

I've learned to scan the available cards with those required by the nobles, as well as those types of bonuses on the card that can help me get some valuable level three cards. It's fun to either buy a card out from under an opponent that wants it, or reserve a card that an opponent is saving for. Some "nice" words are directed at each other at times.

It's kind of like Love Letter in that there's just something about it that hits the spot for a light game experience.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:28 PM

OverEngineered knows what's in an order marker OverEngineered knows what's in an order marker OverEngineered knows what's in an order marker

Fun time. As always, too many games, not enough time. Next time, hopefully we can get Space Hulk or Xia on the table.

Ghost Stories was very fun even though it totally kicked our butts. Glad I finally got a chance to try it. Sheriff of Nottingham was also new to me. Nice little bluffing game that plays well and provides some good laughs.

BTW, typo in the Dominion score. You won with 36. Good way to enda fulfilling afternoon of games.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Just got done with a small game day with @OverEngineered and @Legos of Bleakewoode . We played Robo Rally, Sheriff of Nottingham, Ghost Stories, Splendor, and Dominion. I won RR with an * due to early conveyor belt shenanigans. It was really close, so we'll call it a tie. OE won SoN with 140 something I think, LoB was close 2nd, and I was way behind with some horrible reads as Sheriff. Not shockingly, we were destroyed by Ghost Stories, but it is still one of my new favorites. My first game of Splendor did not go too well as OE took it rather easily. I am not sure what the fuss is about this game other than it probably makes a good family game and the components are nice. I am sure my daughter would like it. We closed with Dominion, which LoB and I hadn't played in a few years, but is as good as remember. Solid, but not flashy, deck builder. I eeked out victory by a Duchy over OE, 33-33-29. Fun spur of the moment game day. Sadly, slackers @Dad_Scaper and @akden weren't able to make it due to "family" commitments. I am a glass half empty guy, so it sounded like "I have no commitment to gaming" to me. Maybe next time.

Funny stuff there G-O. Are DS and Akden related and had the same family commitment?

I just got Splendor from Miniature Market as it was on sale for $20. I've played it a dozen times with other people's game, so now I can have it to try it with my daughters. Many in my group really enjoy it for some reason. It's simple, fast, the components are great and it's just something to it that we like.

I've learned to scan the available cards with those required by the nobles, as well as those types of bonuses on the card that can help me get some valuable level three cards. It's fun to either buy a card out from under an opponent that wants it, or reserve a card that an opponent is saving for. Some "nice" words are directed at each other at times.

It's kind of like Love Letter in that there's just something about it that hits the spot for a light game experience.
No, they aren't related and I am pretty sure one will be offended at suggesting such a an abomination. I will let you guess which one.

I think the thing about Splendor that I liked the most were the poker chip style gems. They were nice to hold. I will probably get it and give it a few more chances, mainly because like I said, I think my daughter, and hopefully wife, will like it. Besides, I don't like to make rash judgments on just one play, especially with a questionable teacher. (I am on a roll)
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
It won't be long before I have a complete set of Dominion!
And then the new expansion will be released.
My buddy mentioned that. I think it's exciting. I don't think I will complete my collection before it arrives, but we'll see. I'm curious if Vaccarino is involved in this one, and what the overall theme of it will be.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:04 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

[quote=Gurei-Ornery;1993608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

No, they aren't related and I am pretty sure one will be offended at suggesting such a an abomination. I will let you guess which one.
DS?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:11 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Played several games of Summoner Wars tonight. Haven't pulled it out in a looong time. At one point we actually had 3 games going at once.

My kids are now huge fans.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:16 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Akden and I are not related. Surely he is the one who takes offense, because I do not. And because he finds the question offensive I will have to fight him.

Cav, for whatever reason KidScaper never got hooked on SW. Maybe because of the similarity to Scape, which he prefers.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games