Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old November 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by betawolf36 View Post
Additionally, if something is still in print, Reaper Legendary Encounters for example, and is going to bounce back into availability you may submit it.

EDIT: I'm not a judge so don't quote me on this.
That's exactly what happened with my Ashi-Dhulu custom. They had low availibility when I submitted, but now there are 102 in stock on their website.

MegaSilver is Charos...
in THE ORPHANAGE

MegaSilver's Customs!
Old November 17th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to roll planet of origin up into theme, although I suppose that is for the judges to decide. In any case, I have updated my original posts and included the planet at the end of that category.
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:04 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

to review Viceron the Blood Knight.

BTW, the submission guidelines in the bylaws state ( and have stated since the beginning) that a submission should "normally include an origin world that is part of the Heroscape canon".

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Viceron the Dark Knight has received 4 Yea votes to review (Soundwarp SG-1, capsocrates, Scytale, and superfrog) and moves forward in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
BTW, the submission guidelines in the bylaws state ( and have stated since the beginning) that a submission should "normally include an origin world that is part of the Heroscape canon".
Well I'll be. It's always been there and I've never noticed. Probably because it's almost never done.
Old November 21st, 2014, 02:22 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Interesting. So if your design does not originate from an established world it is automatically disqualified?

Tornado is Raelin...
in THE ORPHANAGE
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:09 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I suppose that would be up to the judges on how to vote, but I think we can take it that a new world must fit within the canon well enough. I don't think the "Rainbow Sprinkles" planet would mesh terribly well with the rest of the Heroscape, but I hope it could at least be possible to make another world. C3V made Arctorus after all.
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I suppose that would be up to the judges on how to vote, but I think we can take it that a new world must fit within the canon well enough. I don't think the "Rainbow Sprinkles" planet would mesh terribly well with the rest of the Heroscape, but I hope it could at least be possible to make another world. C3V made Arctorus after all.
Yep. Classic 'Scape added planets, too. So I don't think it's a problem to add them in FanScape, but they must fit in with the other existing worlds. Arctorus is a perfect example.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:

Old November 21st, 2014, 03:24 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
the "Rainbow Sprinkles" planet
Ixe, we were very clear when you were a guest in the C3V that you were not supposed to release our top secret plans like that!

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM
Online HS Season 4 Champion

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Thrangir by superfrog

Regrettably, I lack a song or quote that I can somehow tenuously link to this fine fellow. So I'll just get right to it. Will Thrangir measure up? Or is he half the custom he should be? Will he survive this punishment and make it into the Soldiers of Valhalla?

Balance

No real problems here. Thrangir's stats are nothing that impressive for his points, but both his offense and defense are boosted tremendously by his power set. He needs that boost though, as he has no synergies to speak of. Overall, he's just a solid stand-alone figure for his points.

Theme

I like the overall theme here of a tough-as-nails Champion tearing through the enemy without care for the damage he takes in turn, but there are a few problems here for me.

Can't say I'm a fan of using the species name 'Half-Orc', it's a terribly human-centric and silly name, but D&D is officially part of Heroscape, so there's nothing to be done there.

Outside of that, the six move never made much sense to me, he's clearly wearing some pretty heavy plate and neither of his parent races have any special affinity for armor that would justify it.

The biggest problem I have here is the interaction between Reckless Assault and Resilience, it just feels weird that he can ignore a wound from his own recklessness. I've tried to get a picture of how that works in my mind, and I just can't see it.

Creativity

Both Thrangir's powers definitely bring something new to the game, I like the scaling mechanic in Resilience and Reckless Assault can lead to some interesting choices. Overall, a very unique design.

Playability

I'll admit, I didn't do a great deal of testing here. I gave Thrangir a few games to see how the Reckless Assault/Resilience combo felt in practice, and long story short, it never felt natural. It always played more like a 'cheat' or something that had slipped through the cracks rather than an intentional design feature, and it was surprisingly easy to forget to roll for Resilience after taking the Reckless Assault wound. If I'm still forcing myself not to play it wrong after 5 games, that tells me it's a bit counter-intuitive.

Summary

Overall, Thrangir brings a lot of interesting things to the table, but the interaction between Resilience and Reckless Assault never felt right to me, and that was just too much to ignore.

I vote to induct Thrangir to the SoV.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:18 PM
This is merely a joke.

Thanks for giving him a shot. I'm considering a new version, but the Resilience/Reckless Barrage interaction really was the whole point of the design. Since that was the problem, the design is pretty much pointless.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:

Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun

Warden 722 by dok.

Balance
When it comes to his stats, Warden 722 is a nicely rounded hero, packing enough punch that he can hold his own as another bonding hero for the Zettian Infantry, without overshadowing the other heroes (well, besides Deathwalker 7000, but that is what it is). Everything in the Zettian Army has its role to play, and Warden 722 fills a nice niche without stepping on any toes. He is, however, rather matchup dependent: against a traditional bonding army Iíd rather sink his points into another squad of Infantry, or put them towards a stronger hero, but against an army of solo heroes or unique squads he turns into a potent threat.

Theme
Warden 722 is solid, so far as his aesthetic theme goes; the miniature looks good amongst the other Utgar Soulborgs, and his left-box stats (particularly his Tormenting personality) mesh well with what weíve come to expect from a Deathborg.

I wouldnít have a problem with Warden 722ís thematic image, were it not for the odd kink of his special attack. I didnít think it would be a problem when I started out testing him, but I noticed a couple of discrepancies. The obvious one is that it affects Unique figures, including squads, but leaves Common squads and heroes alone. This leaves the idea of an electrical pulse in a sort of thematic limbo: if we call Electrical Pulse Special Attackís ability to hit Unique Squads with the loss of an order marker even after the targeted figure was destroyed an arc of electricity, why doesnít this affect Common squads or heroes? If thatís not what happens, why does the Order Marker removal mechanic affect Unique Squads at all? Iíll expand on my other problem with Electrical Pulse Special Attack in the Playability section.

Creativity
Outside of Electrical Pulse Special Attackís Unique/Common issue, the Warden shapes up nicely. The defense reduction for Soulborgs and threat of Order Marker removal keep things interesting for Warden 722. The Warden is a nice little rank-and-file Soulborg that keeps its own identity intact. It makes for a nice balance of nuanced design aesthetic and adherence to thematic precedent. The negative point I find so far as creativity goes is that Electrical Pulse Special Attack deviates from the mechanical precedent of order marker removal, such as Crippling Gaze and Psionic Blast Special Attack, both of which affect all figures equally.

Playability
Much of what I said in the Theme section regarding Electrical Pulse Special Attack originated here, but I thought it an issue with two sides that could be addressed in both sections.

Why should a Unique Hero without a bonding squad suffer more penalty from this special attack in the form of a lost order marker than a bonding Unique Hero? This loophole gives traditional bonding armies a distinct advantage over armies comprised of Unique Squads or non-bonding unique heroes when going up against Warden 722 (i.e., the Knights of Weston or the Dreadgul Raiders have no trouble with Warden 722ís special attack, while an army built around Nicholas Esenwein or the Varkaanan Wolf Pack will suffer). Why should the Knights and their champions be able to roll forward despite Electrical Pulse Special Attack while the Undead and Wolves are hobbled? Itís a tricky matter of how the special attack affects one kind of bonding rather than another, and how the theme plays out on the table.

In-game, Warden 722ís status as a backup hero for the Zettians is exacerbated against top-tier bonding armies, and he punishes solo Unique Heroes and Squads too much for my taste.

Summary
I wouldnít have a problem with this unit if it affected all units equally, or restricted itself to multi-life heroes, but as it is, I canít reconcile the electricity arcing between unique squads and not commons; the fact that certain heroes get a free pass because their bonding squads are unaffected doesnít help. As-is, Warden 722ís inability to affect Common units hurts him as well as the armies his opponents put up against him in ways that just arenít favorable to either.

Personally, Iíd love to see this unit back, with the special attack dealing Order Marker removal out to all units in equal measure, even if that brings his point value up a bit.

I vote to induct Warden 722 into the Soldiers of Valhalla.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:46 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Thanks for reviewing the warden, guys. Obviously the large majority of the criticism centered around one specific point. There are obvious fixes of course, but I want to take the time to get the pricing right after tweaking it. I'll be back though.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs