Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old June 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
Ah, I'm glad to see that Cormin has received a yes vote. I was worried about how my testing would compare to the testing of the SoV. Scytale, could you possibly post how you tested him or PM me armies?
It's been too long to remember the details. Lots of stuff with Deathreavers, Samurai, and Sentinels, as well as a few different game types and scenarios such as Heat of Battle and dungeon crawls. Mainly tried to find ways to abuse him. Aside from that, the usual stuff: getting a feel for what the unit does well and what its weak points are.

Quote:
While I'm here, I'd like point out something I've noticed in the second post. It reads
Quote:
Units that have been induced in the Soldiers of Valhalla
There seems to be something wrong with that wording (to me at least).
Whoops. Fixed.
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:49 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - Jan 5 (550 pt Melee!)
Old June 27th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Rampage by William099

Warforged are one of my personal favorite races in D&D, so I was happy when they made the leap to Heroscape. And, of course, I'm happy to see more in Fanscape.

Balance

The obvious comparison to Rampage is the Frost Giant of Morh, which has both similar stats and a similar power set. They have the same Move and Attack, and both are equally boosted by Indomitable. Rampage's 2 Defense plus an auto shield is generally better than Frostie's 4 Defense, and the Warforged has an extra Life point. The Frost Giant's Battle Frenzy can be used multiple times against the same figure and it doesn't decrease Attack, but it's pretty unreliable. Rampage's Destructive Rage, on the other hand, is pretty reliable against most squads, especially combined with Indomitable. Rampage does not have the helpful auto-wounding Dying Swipe.

Rampage is 20 points less than the Frost Giant. That's a significant difference. Dying Swipe is nice, but I don't think it makes up for Rampage's additional survivability and reliability in making multiple attacks. Frostie does benefit from Huge immunities, and that does matter, though that also means he doesn't get Medium benefits (jungle defense boost, Carry, Ana Karithon's Healing Word, etc). The two units would need to play significantly differently otherwise Rampage will simply outclass the Frost Giant. More on that in Playability.

Theme

As I said earlier, I like Warforged. Their concept and background is neat, but more than that they look really cool. Repaints (or un-repaints, in this case) are acceptable as long as they are visually distinctive, and the D&D and Heroscape versions of the figure are. Some people might feel that the Barbarian class does not fit the robotic Warforged, but that belief merely stems from a lack of understanding of what Warforged are. They are not robotic, they are creatures with souls, and can (and do) take on the same classes as other races.

The stats and power set give off a feeling of brutality fitting for a D&D barbarian. I like the name as well.

Creativity

This latest version of the unit is cleaned up in a lot of very good ways. The powers are simple, straightforward, and capture the theme fairly well. Unfortunately, the repeated changes ended up steering the design a bit close to an existing unit.

Playability

Rampage is a straightforward brute with no strong synergies. His usefulness is equally straightforward: rush forward and kill stuff. He's quick to get into the fray and brutal once he's there, and his Life and Defense stats plus Warforged Resolve are enough to keep him alive for some time.

On to the real question: does he play differently than the Frost Giant of Morh? A bit. The Frost Giant doesn't have quite as much survivability and his multi-attack power is not dependent on being adjacent to multiple units, so he works well on the outskirts of a battle pounding on lone figures (perhaps better than he does on the front lines). Rampage wants to be in the thick of things as much as possible, surrounding himself with enemy squaddies and tearing them apart. With his high Life total, he can (and should) take leaving engagement attacks to position himself to do the most damage.

The problem I had with him is that I would, in most cases, rather have Rampage than a Frost Giant. Against squads (which are quite common in the metagame) he is almost always better. Where the Frost Giant hopes for that 25% chance of taking another swing, against all but the hardiest squads Rampage's 6 Attack (with the boost from Indomitable) will usually provide him with at least a second attack and probably more. His auto-shield is also preferable against squads, which generally rely on multiple lower-dice attacks. Any tournament player can tell you that consistency has value, and Rampage has consistency in spades.

The Frost Giant is perhaps a bit better against heroes since he retains the ability to take repeated swings even if he doesn't kill his target, and he technically can roll a higher potential number of shields. Though even in that matchup Rampage is close. Against units that specifically punish small/medium figures the Frost Giant is a potentially better pick as well. But the fact that Frostie is only sometimes better is indicative of an issue: Rampage is generally a better pick. As the same price point I'd be concerned about the Warforged outclassing his larger predecessor, but at 20 points less he certainly does.

Summary

Rampage is designed similarly to the Frost Giant of Morh. They do have their differences can play differently to an extent, but I can't justify why Rampage is 20 points cheaper, especially when he is usually the better option. Unfortunately Rampage just outshines the pale giant.

I vote to induct Rampage into the SoV.
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Scytale, I don't think you're allowed to change your vote between posting it in the thread and updating the OP without telling us first.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Scytale, I don't think you're allowed to change your vote between posting it in the thread and updating the OP without telling us first.
Dang. I've really been off my game lately.
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Dang. I've really been off my game lately.
Welcome to my world.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Well we did need to double check that you didn't run a whole new set of tests between now and then by how quickly you're able to put these out .
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:14 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for considering him anyway Scytale!

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Rampage...
in THE WAR FORGE
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:06 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I've done enough testing on my re-work of the Isadoran Guard into a unique hero that I am ready to re-submit it for your consideration:

Old June 30th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Silly Promo Pro, Dinosaurs are for Orcs

quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth

Sculpt info?
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Sculpt info?
This is a resubmission so most judges are probably familiar with it, but this is the Star Wars Dark Trooper Phase III mini.
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Silly Promo Pro, Dinosaurs are for Orcs

quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth quozl is a man of the cloth

I hope there's more than 15 minis available, which is what abprices shows.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs