Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:44 AM
A Robot in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
If it's a worm, its species should be Worm. After all, Hasbro didn't try to sex up humans in the game by calling them Homonids. Avoiding the more straightforward and clear choice in order to sound "kewl" is something a junior high kid would do.
I don't think 'Worm' is more straight forward or clear than 'Annelid'.
'Annelid' actually has a precise meaning, 'Worm' can mean pretty much anything vaguely tubular. Not everyone knows what an Annelid is, but that can be fixed with a half second Google search and I think it's a good thing if a card ends up teaching you something new.

Earthworms are probably the only 'worms' we're likely to see considered for the VC* (if we even see anymore of them, not really a whole lot else to do with the concept), so we don't lose anything by being specific here either.

Also, Annelid does sound cooler to me. Which I think is a valid point considering this game is pretty much built on "wouldn't it be cool if these cool things fought each other?".

*Well I guess there could be a 'leech swarm' figure out there somewhere (as I think that's a thing in D&D), but leeches are also Annelids.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Being a demon, Ashi would have the movement bonus from Morgoloth. Just my because nobody said it clearly here. ^^

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:22 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieLoche View Post
Being a demon, Ashi would have the movement bonus from Morgoloth. Just my because nobody said it clearly here. ^^
True, however, without any bonus to Stealth Underground Movement the benefit is pretty limited.

My preferences are Demon>Worm>Annelid, but SoV in general, and this thread in particular, is not a workshop.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:51 PM
A Robot in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Sundol by vegietarian18

This giant is a burning thing, and he makes a fiery ring. But when he goes down, down, down, do the flames get high enough to justify his inclusion in the SoV?

Balance

Going by pure stats, Sundol isnít too impressive. Alistar Macdirk equals him in base stats for 20 points less, and Alistar has comparable bonding and a useful power. Sundol does have the advantage of being a single-based huge figure, which is arguably one of the most advantageous setups possible in that department (especially since his sculpt is physically rather small for a huge figure), but that's ultimately not worth all that much. Overall, it's definitely down to his Blaze of Glory to really earn that 130 point price tag. That is easier said than done most games though, as Blaze of Glory can be a tricky power to get the most use out of.

Theme

While exploding into fireballs isn't something I inherently associate with giants (even fire giants like Sundol), there's nothing particularly unthematic about it either. It's easily explained away as a product of magic or a mutation, or a natural ability of his particular kind of Giant. He actually reminds me of one of my favorite Magic Cards (Bloodfire Colossus) in a way, which makes him feel more like an official unit to me. Classic Heroscape was full of references to other games and ersatz characters, and I like seeing a little of that here even if it was most likely unintentional.

One thing I did find odd thematically was Sundol's 5 move. All the official Giants have 6 or more move (well, the Frost Giant has 5 naturally, but with Indomitable he'll have 7 most of the times you'll really need him too). The C3Vís Mok only has 5 move, but thatís justified considering he is basically wearing a dwarven tank as a hat. I see no justification for Sundolís 5 move, there is nothing about the sculpt that suggests he is older or heavier set than the other giants and his armor seems comparable. Being slower than average for his species also doesn't fit with either his personality or the reckless nature of Blaze of Glory to me.

Creativity

Sundol only has one new power, but itís certainly creative. The use of wounds to give the explosion a variable radius is both unique and elegant.

Playability

Sundol can definitely be a tricky one to get any real bang for your buck out of. Go boom too early, and you're not going to hit much compared to what you're losing. Try to hold the blaze off to long and you risk not getting to do it at all.

It doesn't help that his Blaze of Glory just isnít that useful against unique heroes in the first place. Even in a best case scenario, you're still just giving a bunch of heroes one wound when it's usually better to focus on giving one of those heroes multiple wounds. Against most squads the situation is reversed; they donít really care about his normal attack no matter how high it is (as it's still just one causality), but a big enough Blaze of Glory can be potentially devastating.

I found he really needs the Dreadguls to get the most out of him. You want to be running him pretty close to dead to get the biggest Blaze of Glory you can, and the Dreadguls let you do that without the risk of a completely wasted turn (or turns) if your opponent kills Sundol early. Sundol also becomes harder for squads to ignore when his single attack is backed up by 3 attacks from the Dreads. Most importantly, it lets him function better at what he really shines at: disrupting your opponentís plans. There were quite a few games of mine where Sundol never blew up but I still felt he earned his points by affecting the enemies positioning or absorbing wounds for the Dreadguls (along with kills from his normal attack of course). Sometimes the threat of a bomb is worth more than the actual explosion.

Summary

Overall, I feel Sundol is decent for his points. He's swingy and a bit of a gamble, but he can be worth it sometimes, and most importantly he's a blast to play.

I vote to induct Sundol to the SoV.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:29 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

MegaSilver, can we have an updated card with your finalized decisions so we can finish the vote? We're in a sort of limbo right now where we don't have anything to vote on. The yes-votes that the unit has gotten so far don't really count because of the change you have been discussing in this thread.

And with that comes a public service announcement for the sake of all those who are posting in this thread: We work with proposals and votes here. Not suggestions and tweaking. Please take those things elsewhere. PM the judges. Post it in your thread or the Pre-SoV Workshop. Once a card is posted here, please don't ask for input on how it should or should not be changed. Just wait and see how the vote shakes out.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

google sheets:
ohs link generator/attack outcomes

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old May 24th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

The only thing that needs to be changed is that "Before Moving" in Devour needs to be changed to "Instead of Moving." I'll see if William099 can get that updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Card removed since it had been updated.

Last edited by MegaSilver; December 2nd, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:27 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

pending that small wording fix.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

google sheets:
ohs link generator/attack outcomes

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'll take MegaSilver's most recent post to mean that the species will remain Worm. With that, Ashi-Dhulu by MegaSilver has received 6 Yea votes to review (Scytale, Son of Arathorn, Soundwarp SG-1, hivelord, capsocrates, and superfrog) and moves forward in the process.
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:43 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Rampage with some changes Scytale asked for.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is the Venoc Warlord...
in THE ORPHANAGE
Old June 7th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Corrected card thanks to William099:

Old June 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Cormin the Dark by Maklar the Silver Prince

Stand-alone heroes are nothing new to Heroscape, and in the age of Fanscape they've become even more common due to figure availability. A unit such as this has to stand out to be worthy of cannon. Let's see how Cormin fares.

Balance

Five attack dice on a 75 point figure? That's the cheapest we've seen for that level of attack, both in official and Fanscape. (The closest is the Ice Troll Beserker at 85 points). A couple things really hold him back, however: being limited to a single melee attack and having low Life and Defense. Faҫade 11 gives him improved survivability, but it has its disadvantages. He also lacks strong synergies like the Ice Troll's bonding. On top of that, the jerk might stab you in the back. A swingy unit, but not one that seems broken at first glance.

Theme

A tricky elf rogue that fights for Utgar? It works as well as Elaria the Pale works, no question there. Stab in the Back is already precedented with Utgar and is a fitting bad guy trope.

Faҫade is a fun rogue-ish concept as well; I can imagine a poof! or a peeling off of a mask to reveal that he was really somewhere else. Unfortunately, I felt the theme doesn't carry through all that well when playing Cormin. It's a bit hard to believe that it was actually a Deathreaver in disguise that just hit me with 5 skulls. Faҫade feels more like a magical teleport power. But it's not such a problem I would vote down the unit for that.

The figure looks pretty nice, though it's on the small side.

Creativity

There are two things I would like to point out that I liked creatively. First, the overall concept of a relatively low-cost unit with a good attack and defense tricks isn't exactly new, but it's implemented differently than a certain red ninja and fits in a very different price point. Second, the synergy between Cormin the Dark and Elaria the Pale is pretty neat (I suspect those two have a thing).

Playability

While Cormin the Dark can benefit from some broad Elf synergies, he's not especially likely to be used in serious Elf armies. He's really more of a general splash-in unit, one that provides a heavy hit for a good price. So that's where I'll focus my playability review.

Being a melee figure that lacks any sort of bonding, Cormin takes a bit off effort to get him where you want him to be, though 6 Move helps with that. It may look like he would make a potent assassin, but with the lower life total and a lack of a disengage power he doesn't really do that all so well. You might be able to swap into a key position with Faҫade, but don't count on it. Instead, the backstabby elf is at his best when he rushes in and lays the hurt on an outlying figure or front-line hero. More of an opportunist than an assassin, though obviously timing that with order markers can be tricky.

You may think he would handle himself well defensively due to Faҫade (after all, we've all seen Isamu clean house), but that's really not the case. Assuming there is a figure you can swap with, you still have to make the roll. If you fail it--and you only get one shot, no matter how many attacks are coming--his 2 Defense doesn't hold off much. As an opportunist this gamble works out fine; as a defender wannabe this strategy fails quickly.

It sure seems like Cormin could be a nasty unit. Move in, lay on the hurt, Faҫade away, rinse and repeat. There are a lot of things that need to go right for that to work though. His attack, while potent, can and does fizzle from time to time, and Faҫade, as I mentioned, is far from a guarantee, and it can get one of your other units killed. And he could Stab you in the Back on any given turn. Simply put, he's useful, but don't be overly reliant on him.

I suggest pairing him with Elaria the Pale. Not only does she improve his Faҫade chance, but she completely negates Stab in the Back. It's a bit difficult to keep them close enough, as Cormin tends to get around with his good Move and Faҫade, but the pairing is worthwhile.

I did spend a good amount of time testing Cormin with various defensive units. Can Cormin be annoying with Deathreavers? Yes, though that's more due to the fact that Deathreavers are naturally annoying than anything to do with Cormin. Faҫade is especially scary when Samurai are around; any swing at the elf could be at a 5 Defense Counter Striker instead. It's a nice combo, but not overwhelmingly so in my testing. I had the best luck combining Cormin with Sentinels of Jandar, but Cormin's 5 Attack is rarely better than three attacks of three from the Sentinels. In general, I found that trying to build an army around Cormin just wasn't all that good--he's not a good enough unit to warrant it.

Summary

Cormin the Dark has a strong melee attack for a good price, but he has numerous disadvantages, most noticeably his low Life and Defense. Faҫade provides a big boost to his survivability, but it comes at the cost of reliability and the need to put another of your units in harm's way. I found him to be a fun unit to splash in to armies, providing good value at a fair risk. He has some similarities to other some other units, but ends up playing quite a bit differently.

I vote to induct Cormin the Dark into the SoV.

Last edited by Scytale; June 17th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The link of the card is false. It leads to Asterios and not Cormin.

Yeah he could be a nice and fun filler fin an army with Deathreavers. Otherwise he does not really worth some OMs on him.

Last edited by Foudzing; June 17th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs