Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
Quote:
Those units were not passed. I'm looking for the one's that were. I may go through and compile a list if I'm bored.
Do you mean the Display thread? If so, you can find here:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...13&postcount=1
He's looking for link to the individual reviews, not to the units.

EDIT:
ZH:
1Mmirg
Dad_Scaper
Lamaclown
nyys
ZBeeblebrox

Here's Cxurgy:
Qt.Bangerang's vote
Scytale's vote
Super Bogue's vote
Nyys's vote

and the Sneakbeaks:
Killometer's vote
Qt.bangerang's vote
Scytale's vote
1Mmirg's vote

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"

Last edited by superfrog; February 9th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to superfrog again.
Thanks man.

Your link to 1Mmirg's vote on the Sneakbeaks is broken. You don't need to fix it though cuz I tracked that down myself.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.

Last edited by greygnarl; February 10th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Brimstone by Scytale

Balance

Being a 150 point fire dragon, Brimstone will obviously draw more than a few comparisons to Mimring. With Mimsy being a B- figure, he is a decent barometer as well. The main differences between them are as follows: Mimsy has one less defense. (and is double spaced but while that may be a minor hindrance for movement, it also adds versatility to his special attack so I’m saying those balance) and Mims has one more bonding option in arrow gruts.

It would therefore come down to their special attacks to determine their costing but so far, it seems about right. Mimring can attack up to eight figures while Brimstone could theoretically attack up to 18 both with up to four dice. While that seems like a distinct edge to Brimstone, he can only attack with four dice once every four of his turns, whereas Mimsy can throw 4 dice every time and from much greater range.

Theoryscaping can only go so far though, so see “Playability” for more on how he plays at this cost.

Theme

The theme is pretty solid with this guy. His voracious appetite for burning fits rather well with Valkrill. I can picture him sitting on the sidelines between battles chatting with the Incendiborgs about things they’ve immolated. He is a bit small but not enough to be a problem.

My one regret in this department is that I wish he were lava resistant. I know it would be one too many powers and wouldn’t fit well on the card but the guy is made of lava for goodness’ sake. (I know they take fire damage in D&D, so that works as a precedent even though it still doesn't make much sense.)

Also, I love the name Brimstone since it evokes both his volcanic nature and feels just a bit demonic. Fitting for Valkrill.

Creativity

Growing Heat/Heat Blast are a fun and creative set of powers that really evoke a feeling of Brimstone getting hotter. I can picture him glowing brighter before he blows. Though they are new and require markers, I don’t feel like they are too complicated or confusing.

Playability

Brimstone is a very swingy figure. Any unit that relies on a blast attack will be by nature of course. They either roll well and slaughter many things or they roll poorly, kill nothing and get overwhelmed. The same is true with Brimstone but to an even greater degree since he has to wait so long to build up a very powerful attack. It can occasionally be soul-crushing to spend over a round building up markers just to whiff on that crucial roll that would have hit six figures had you only rolled some skulls. On the other hand, if you have hot dice, he can crush an opposing army in one turn. In one of my tests, Brimsy roasted over half of the opposing Thralls, swinging the game overwhelmingly back in his favour.

That kind of destruction is rare though. It requires the Brimstone player to go out into the heart of an opposing army to maximize targets which has just as much or more probability to leave him surrounded behind enemy lines, and sometimes, his greenscales just aren’t enough to extradite him. In practice, this effect mitigates the rather imposing idea that in a perfect world, he could hit up to 18 figures with an attack of four. It is so rare and so rarely powerful that, while it can be a game-changer with some luck, it isn’t overpowered. In the four turns it takes Brimstone to charge and activate his attack, Nilfheim or Quahon could have easily attacked up to 12 figures with attacks of four. And in reality Brimstone will at most be attacking around nine figures if he gets to hit a full start zone, which by the time he charges up would be hard to do.

He definitely benefits from the company of greenscales. They can help screen and draw fire while he is charging up his blast then come in to clean up what the blast doesn’t get, or they can tie down low defense squads while Brimsy shoots off low-dice heat blasts every couple turns. That latter tactic, though maybe not the smartest is quite tempting and really fits with the Valkrill theme: all must burn, enemies first, but allies can go too. Even with a fully charged blast, sometimes you can hit a couple more opponents but risk killing a greenscale in the process, and it really tempts you to do it, and I love that.

Summary

Brimstone is far too swingy to be considered a great unit but that is one of the things I love about him. Heroscape has always been home to swingy figures. Look at the Airborne, Anubians and anything that mind-shackles. Those figures always see play at my table because their potential for awesomeness and their strong theme make them fun. Brimstone has both of those things in spades. Yeah, for a tournament, I’d absolutely take Mimring over Brimstone because for a tournament, you need reliability. But at my table, Brimstone will have a home.

I vote YES to induct Brimstone into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Last edited by hivelord; February 11th, 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: The "Yes" was neither bold nor nearly green enough.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This guy is so awesome!

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Love the review, love the unit.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
Brimstone by Scytale
Mimring can attack up to eight figures while Brimstone could theoretically attack up to 18 both with up to four dice.
Actually, theoretically, there is no practical limit to how many figures Mimring can attack. Imagine that Mimring is attacking a tower 100 feet high, with enemies filling a single ladder all the way up. Mimring can attack all of them. That could be hundreds of figures.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yep as long as it's eight spaces away from Mimring he can attack even up ladders.

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
Brimstone by Scytale
Mimring can attack up to eight figures while Brimstone could theoretically attack up to 18 both with up to four dice.
Actually, theoretically, there is no practical limit to how many figures Mimring can attack. Imagine that Mimring is attacking a tower 100 feet high, with enemies filling a single ladder all the way up. Mimring can attack all of them. That could be hundreds of figures.
Yeah. I replaced "figures" with "spaces" later in the review and forgot to do so there. Either way, it's kind of absurd to get even the 8 or 12 targets in one attack so it's a bit moot.

Last edited by hivelord; February 12th, 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: It's
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So about how long should the review on Hoplitron take? I'm itching for some new "official" heroscape to be accepted for use in tournaments, and it's been a little while since it was put up for consideration.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:12 PM

My guess is that it already passed review and is waiting for a new card from the Art Department.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM

I thought they've said with past units when it passed through and was under review? I might be wrong though.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death! Arch-vile is hot lava death!

It is moving along; Editing has to look it over too during the process to make sure the wording doesn't have any issues. I know in the latest Peoria tourney (last weekend) someone used a Hoplitron already actually.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs