Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Rebasing: A Guide for Bases and Stickers

I've had very, very minor issues with the thickness of Yodajunkie bases, but nothing that 10 seconds with some sandpaper couldn't solve.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:29 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Wowzers, great resource. Mac122, Lama, thanks gents!

I must be one of the few people who prefers pure black bases to the original 'Scape ones. I understand that the designers proably chose brown and green to match the dominant color palette of the original master set. But they don't match the grayscale color palette of Dungeon terrain or FotA very well.

Most of my custom terrain is grayscale, red, or green, and that's all I play on. Against that, black bases are far less obtrusive than the original 'Scape ones.

I wish Yodajunkie offered his large peanut bases in black. He sells them in lots of other colors, but not black. Maybe I'll ask him....
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Mac (or others), you mention that the stickers used by Yodajunkie are harder to scrape off than those used by Impact...
Are they harder to remove in general? Wondering if Yoda uses stronger glue, or if the stickers themselves are thicker.
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Yodajunkies stickers are on thicker stock. It appears to be a lightweight card stock or photo paper (around 65# weight?). The biggest issue for me is the paper peels off in layers, leaving a layer stuck to the glue. This layer has to be scraped off to get to the resin layer, other wise you don't get a good bond between the figure and the base. Too often, I've ended up scratching the print off the adjacent area on the sticker, or just not been able to get to the resin layer effectively, especially for small footed figures. I've had this same problem when I tried printing my own stickers as well.

Impact and Cavalier stickers on on thinner stock that has a more "plastic" feel. Thinner makes it easier to cut through to the base with less effort. The adhesive is strong enough to keep the sticker in place but it's quite easy to slip the point of your hobby knife under to lift off the unneeded section.

Hope this explained it well.

After I e-mailed Tom at Impact, he replied and also posted this in the original base discussion thread.
Concerning the peanut style bases:
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactminiatures View Post
My problems so far:

A plastic mould to make them would be $3000 for each size (small and large). I'm not sure I could get my $6k back for this investment.

Yodajunkie did not respond to my email to see if I could work with him to stock his bases in my store.

My resin caster quoted me a price that would make Yodajunkie's much more affordable.

I don't have the equipment to do resin casting in house.

Litko can make them for me but they won't be beveled and again ... Yodajunkie's would be much more affordable.

I'm trying ... but the only option I've found that really works so far is a $6k investment and we are just too small of company to bite on that.

Tom @ Impact!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

This is why I prefer to just pin my figures. Using a pen drill I just bore a small hole through the base and others into the feet of the figure. Then superglue a piece of paperclip or florist wire into the feet/legs and once that dries glue it through the hole in the base. There is a lot less chance of the figure taking a small fall off a table or something and breaking off that way as well.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Mac, thanks, that helps a lot.

I have a few Yodajunkie bases (given me by a friend), and am wondering about just glueing the figures' feet directly to the sticker as is. It does seem thick and sturdy, and glued strongly enough to the resin that it doesnt' seem likely to come off, so I'm wondering if that would do the trick and be stable enough. Have you had bad experiences with this?
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
This is why I prefer to just pin my figures. Using a pen drill I just bore a small hole through the base and others into the feet of the figure. Then superglue a piece of paperclip or florist wire into the feet/legs and once that dries glue it through the hole in the base. There is a lot less chance of the figure taking a small fall off a table or something and breaking off that way as well.
Huh, interesting. Dumb question: what's a pen drill? Something other than using a normal power drill with a super-thin bit?
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
How well does that work for human figures with small feet? Could you post some pics?

On DnD and Star Wars figures and sometimes Clix, when I feel like taking the time, I'll create a peg on the bottom of at least one foot. Then I'll drill a hole just large enough to insert the peg.

It's time consuming, but it does work well.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Mac, thanks, that helps a lot.

I have a few Yodajunkie bases (given me by a friend), and am wondering about just glueing the figures' feet directly to the sticker as is. It does seem thick and sturdy, and glued strongly enough to the resin that it doesnt' seem likely to come off, so I'm wondering if that would do the trick and be stable enough. Have you had bad experiences with this?
Yes. It will work as long as you are uber-careful with your figures. It's just too easy to put a bit of pressure on the figure, the feet will come off the base taking a layer of the sticker with it.

I've never asked him, but I wonder if Yodajunkie would ship the bases and the stickers separately so you could attach them yourself. I imagine it would be easier to remove spots before attaching the sticker. The stock is thicker and would not be likely to tear. Just a thought.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

A Pen/Pin Drill is a small hand held (pen-sized) drill that you can use very tiny drill bits with. Here is a youtube video on using one. They make extremely tiny bits so even with tiny feet you can get a hole drilled so as long as you can find a piece of wire to go in the hole it'll work.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old September 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
The biggest issue for me is the paper peels off in layers, leaving a layer stuck to the glue. This layer has to be scraped off to get to the resin layer, other wise you don't get a good bond between the figure and the base. Too often, I've ended up scratching the print off the adjacent area on the sticker, or just not been able to get to the resin layer effectively, especially for small footed figures. I've had this same problem when I tried printing my own stickers as well.
You know, I see everywhere where people talk about cutting holes in the stickers so you can glue the feet directly to the base. I have to say: I never bother with this. I just glue the figure to the sticker. Every now and again--but not that often--they come off. So I just glue them again. To me, this is much easier than fooling with trying to cut the stickers. But everyone has to figure out what's best for them ... I just wanted to throw this out there in case there are others who think that messing around with cutting the stickers is too annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
After I e-mailed Tom at Impact, he replied and also posted this in the original base discussion thread.
Concerning the peanut style bases:
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactminiatures View Post
A plastic mould to make them would be $3000 for each size (small and large). I'm not sure I could get my $6k back for this investment.
mac122, you may want to let Tom at Impact know that Heroscape doesn't really require two sizes of peanut base, strictly speaking. The larger peanut base is fine as a one-size-fits-all solution.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs