Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 20th, 2011, 11:51 PM

JackD Woo who?
Consultation before buying :)

Hi!

So far I have Swarm of the Marrow and D&D Master Sets, so we play with those sets and 17 Heroclix Superheroes from the super awesome C3G projects (around 30+ more Herolix miniatures I have aren't covered in C3G,yet).

Usually we play 2 players (with my son) or 3 players (with my son and a friend of mine), and maybe, maybe someday my non-gamer wife will learn this great game

We really enjoy the game (playing around 10 times now, changing the map everytime) and this becomes dangerous because I want to add my Heroscape collection

Of course I want to have the great Valkyrie Master Set, but the price is very high (around double the original) and I read it somewhere it is heavy! (well, the shipping cost is a real killer , check my location).

So, I plan to order:
- Fortress of the Archkyrie, and
- Malliddon's Prophecy Expansion Set (the complete 4 boosters).
This is what I think:
- the Fortress expansion is cool and will make the map really handsome (but I doubt about the usefulness in a game), plus I can use the wall as road
- even that Malliddon is far from Valkyrie, I think it is really close to Valkyrie with lots of squads and a leader. (well, since the C3G Heroclix always a one man army, I think we need more squads).
Defender of Kinsland is available too, but I think Malliddon has more variety, and Malliddon has 16 terrain !

So do you think it is a good choice?
Or should I hunt for Valkyrie (if yes, so we will not have the Castle expansion, do you think the Castle expansion is not THAT great?)

Thanks guys!

JackD
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Consultation before buying :)

My stock advice follows. Skip the stuff you already have. Given what you have, that means grabbing a Marvel Set and an FotA, and a bunch of cheap singles, before you dig into wave 1.
My recommendations, in order from high priority to low:

1) Buy 1 Marvel Set, 1 D&D set, 1 Swarm of the Marro set, and 1 Fortress of the Archkyrie Set. All of these can still be found at or below retail price from numerous vendors. You can get all four for under $100 total on Amazon. That will give you enough terrain to build plenty of good maps, plus enough figures to play home games.

2) Go to Auggies Games and buy singles of the Rise of the Valkyrie uniques. The RotV set is very expensive, but you only need 1 each of the figures, and they aren't very expensive at all.

While you're there, buy a Fen Hydra or two, a couple extra squads of Marrden Nagrubs, and four or five extra squads of Marro Stingers. Dirt cheap and well worth it. At this point you have enough figures to field highly competitive armies in any setting.

3) Next up would be every widely available unique/uncommon pack - that's (in order of how much I'd want them) D2, wave 1, D3, D1, the D3 uncommon pack, the elves, and the wave 8 uniques. As you can see, all of those are very affordable. I'd also consider adding Orm's Return for some extra large figure goodies.

4) After that it's just a question of which common squads/packs you want to bulk up on. I highly recommend adding a few packs of Warriors and Soulborgs. Romans, Phantom Knights, Greenscale Warriors, Goblins, Deathchasers, Warforged, Mezzodemons, Horned Skull Brutes, and Blade Gruts are all popular and available choices. Even if you don't buy the packs, though, it's worth going over to Auggie's and buying one of some of the included uncommons.

So, there you go - a fun, varied, competitive Heroscape collection for well under $200. Enjoy!
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:48 AM

JackD Woo who?

Thanks for the replay.

This means your suggestion is:
- the Fortress
- Marvel Master Set (I have only Doctor Doom Heroclix, the other Characters I don't have, so this will be great addition too)

hmm.... the final cost is (almost) the same as Fortress+Maddollin.
With this choice, I will have more terrain to build many things, but less squads (I'm not sure whether I need more squads/common so I think this will be a better choice)

Thanks...
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Never underestimate how cool, useful, and fun Wave 1 is. Especially if you have several sets of the commons.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

If you like the game I would definitely get RotV, most of the best maps require it and it has the largest amount of terrain and fills out the miniature collection nicely.

I'd take some time and look around at the Maps and Scenarios available in the download section. See what you need to build the ones that interest you and then invest based on that.

I have seen some good ebay deals from China so you might want to keep your eyes open for those.

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

"Desre for good grammar makes one looking to destroy fun??"

I love it when the overly critical can't meet their own expectations.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM

JackD Woo who?

Thanks for all the replays

Reading here and there, I think it is better to complete the Master Sets first than starting to buy those booster. And since finding a reasonable ROTV will take time (since I must consider both the price and the shipping cost), I have already placed order on the Fortress and Marvel (If you want to know: I order from www.nobleknight.com, since the shipping cost to my country is around half than the other online store, and they have both in stock).

If, after that, I still need more, I think I will start to (sigh) hunt ROTV

Thanks!

JackD
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:34 AM

Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker

Good luck! ROTV is the base for Heroscape in my opinion. Without it Heroscape just seems a bit weird to me. :P Glad to see a new 'Scaper.

Never negotiate the truth. - Serj Tankian

Trade List: Please contact with offers. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ostcount=10010
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD View Post
Thanks for all the replays

Reading here and there, I think it is better to complete the Master Sets first than starting to buy those booster. And since finding a reasonable ROTV will take time (since I must consider both the price and the shipping cost), I have already placed order on the Fortress and Marvel (If you want to know: I order from www.nobleknight.com, since the shipping cost to my country is around half than the other online store, and they have both in stock).

If, after that, I still need more, I think I will start to (sigh) hunt ROTV

Thanks!

JackD
Good call.. get a wide variety from the masters. Half the fun of the game is setting up and drafting armies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion