Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Battleship Galaxies

Have any of you guys that have the game (mine should be here Monday) noticed missing turrets on the Everest ship? On BGG there have been some discussion in THIS thread about some missing turrets on that mini. As it seemed that it wasn't an isolated incident, I was just curious if people here that have the game have noticed the same issues.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Have any of you guys that have the game (mine should be here Monday) noticed missing turrets on the Everest ship? On BGG there have been some discussion in THIS thread about some missing turrets on that mini. As it seemed that it wasn't an isolated incident, I was just curious if people here that have the game have noticed the same issues.
Yeah I have the same issue. I am missing one of the turrets.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Got mine yesterday and it looks good. I have a friend coming over tomorrow and I can't wait to play a game.

I noticed a lot of cool stuff about this game. The first is that there's no WotC logo on it. Some of the retailers I saw selling it had it listed as a WotC product but I'm really glad its not.

There are a lot of similarities to Heroscape. The hexes are the first thing that stands out to me. The double spaced unit movement is the same too. there are squadrons that act like squads and solo ships that are like heroes. The glyphs seem familiar too, as well as the list of their effects toward the end of the rulebook.

I think there are actually more similarities between BSG and Herosape than there are between BSG and regular Battleship.

I noticed one really clever thing too. The pegs that represent shields and hull damage can be stacked. At first I thought that the maximum number of hits (for expansion ships) would be limited by the holes in the base, but making the pegs stack gets around that. Its pretty simple, but an elegant solution.

Does anyone know when expansions are supposed to be released?
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
The first is that there's no WotC logo on it. Some of the retailers I saw selling it had it listed as a WotC product but I'm really glad its not.
It is only being distributed by WotC; it is a Hasbro product.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:19 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

If you look at the fact that none of the designers on either BG thread have commented on the topic of possible expansions, and that the blurb on the site title page states that "no expansions are necessary to play," you might conclude that they are going to wait for sales figures on the basic game before producing any for a while.

Expansions do seem to be a logical follow up to the game as described so far.
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah, but I've read a reports from people that have gotten and played the game and they seem to say that the game needs expansions. Otherwise there's not a ton of replayability. Understandably people can come up with their own customs and make their own scenarios, however there are a lot of people that don't want to invest the time to do that.

I will hopefully get my copy of the game tomorrow, so I can only go off of what others have said thus far. But I would guess that in the long run if there aren't any expansions forthcoming it will hurt sales of the base game because by then it will be more widely known how limited the base game is on its own. A lot of people may be the "wait and see" type and will wait until all the initial release hype has passed over before they see what the general consensus is before they buy. The game isn't cheap, so people will take that and replayability into account before purchasing or buy something else.

Old July 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Yeah, but I've read a reports from people that have gotten and played the game and they seem to say that the game needs expansions. Otherwise there's not a ton of replayability. Understandably people can come up with their own customs and make their own scenarios, however there are a lot of people that don't want to invest the time to do that.
I disagree that there isn't a ton of replayability. Sure, if you're used to the extreme variety that Heroscape offers, then it seems like you want all of those options for BG too - but there's a lot of replayability in the base game alone. I think what you're seeing are people that have played one or two of the base scenarios and are stuck in the pileup-in-the-middle stage. Once you get past that to the point where you're using tactics cards more intelligently, building out your own fleet and deck, and using the unit types more efficiently, that sense of lack of replayability I think goes away.
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Quote:
I disagree that there isn't a ton of replayability. Sure, if you're used to the extreme variety that Heroscape offers, then it seems like you want all of those options for BG too - but there's a lot of replayability in the base game alone. I think what you're seeing are people that have played one or two of the base scenarios and are stuck in the pileup-in-the-middle stage. Once you get past that to the point where you're using tactics cards more intelligently, building out your own fleet and deck, and using the unit types more efficiently, that sense of lack of replayability I think goes away.
Well like I said, I was going off of what others have said thus far. Time will tell of course. I hope there's a ton of replayability in the base set, but I'll find out when I get it and play it. Ultimately there will be so many ways to play one army against the other though.

Edit: Also from This interview with Craig Van Ness, it seems like there are other factions that have been considered or designed during the design process of the game. Understandably if the game bombs, then there won't likely be expansions. But if the game does well, I can see them busting out some expansions. I'm guessing that Plaid Hat Games had several factions designed already for Summoner Wars when they came out with the initial releases in 2009, and the future of those non-released factions was dependent on the initial SW sales. Now we have 14 factions and reinforcements.

Last edited by Hahma; July 17th, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Well like I said, I was going off of what others have said thus far. Time will tell of course. I hope there's a ton of replayability in the base set, but I'll find out when I get it and play it. Ultimately there will be so many ways to play one army against the other though.
Well, don't forget that each ship/squadron comes in three different experience levels. The HS analogy would be that each hero or squad came with three different cards that used the same sculpts. Each side has 18 different ship cards to choose from, just in the base set. Additionally, the tactics deck can be constructed as well, so even if you run the same fleet, it will play much differently with a different set of tactics cards.

Quote:
Edit: Also from This interview with Craig Van Ness, it seems like there are other factions that have been considered or designed during the design process of the game. Understandably if the game bombs, then there won't likely be expansions. But if the game does well, I can see them busting out some expansions. I'm guessing that Plaid Hat Games had several factions designed already for Summoner Wars when they came out with the initial releases in 2009, and the future of those non-released factions was dependent on the initial SW sales. Now we have 14 factions and reinforcements.
Oh, I think expansions are a given if it sells well. The rulebook also makes reference to future expansions. My encouragement to people sitting on the fence waiting to see if there are expansions is to buy the base game. You won't regret it and your support of the game now helps ensure that we get the expansions in the future.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Well, don't forget that each ship/squadron comes in three different experience levels. The HS analogy would be that each hero or squad came with three different cards that used the same sculpts. Each side has 18 different ship cards to choose from, just in the base set. Additionally, the tactics deck can be constructed as well, so even if you run the same fleet, it will play much differently with a different set of tactics cards.

Oh, I think expansions are a given if it sells well. The rulebook also makes reference to future expansions. My encouragement to people sitting on the fence waiting to see if there are expansions is to buy the base game. You won't regret it and your support of the game now helps ensure that we get the expansions in the future.
Well it's awesome that there are so many options in the base set for sure.

My game should arrive tomorrow as I waited until after the Battleshipgalaxians.com contest to end before ordering one. I was hoping to win a free set but congrats to Agent Minivan on the win. So I was going to get the game one way or the other as I trust the people designing the game. That said, I also fully anticipated that there would be expansions for the game as well and that was part of my decision to by the base set.

I agree that the more encouragement there is for this game, the more chance of expansions. Look at games like Dominion, Thunderstone, Defenders of the Realm, Memoir '44, Settlers of Catan, Carcassone etc. There is a huge market for expandable games and a lot of people have expectations of such. In fact, I would never have bought Dominion or Thunderstone a year + after their releases if I didn't know there were expansions for them.

Anyway, I have to go and play a 15mm Napoleonic wargame.

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Prickly Cactus

Back to the missing front turret on the Everest mini. From reading over at BGG, the response to some emails was that the picture that was found with both turrets on the front of the Everest was just a promotional mini or something like that. So there will not be replacements for the one missing turret on the Everest. However, there's been people that are missing both front turrets, I wonder what the WOTC response will be to that! Then there's been missing stands for the ships as well

I'm all for supporting the product and all, but this is kind of crappy quality control. They might not have to worry about expansions if people aren't getting the right stuff to begin with. The quality of the components was supposed to help justify the price, but once the quality of the product diminishes, it becomes kind of a pisser.

When I get my game tomorrow (hopefully) I can live without one of the front turrets, but I better have all my stands for the ships!

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I suspect the people with none may find they have some recourse.

The people with one should shut up and play. It's not a QC issue; it's an issue where a prototype was slightly different from what went into production. A whole lot of nothing, like almost everything else I read at BGG. Lord, some of those people have issues with entitlement. Our own D&D-era Scape whiners have *nothing* on them.

The more time I spend there, the happier I am here.

edit:
Check out this post from BGG; turns out I was right:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGG post
Wow!

Ok, so I sent another email to WotC Customer Service...Sunday night...they responded within just a few minutes.

That is just really good customer service.

The news was good.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello again George,

We apologize for the confusion in this matter. If your ISN Everest is missing both turrets, that is something we can replace with a 1 turret version. Again, we're very sorry for the mix-up. Your can expect your replacement within the next 1-2 weeks.

Take Care and Good Gaming!
(Emphasis added)

So, for folks like me that had no front turrets at all, they are going to offer a replacement.

That IS cool. I am content with that and appreciate that they stood by their product.

I can understand a last minute manufacturing problem that caused all the minis to have only one turret...but not having any at all was too much. The did the right thing and my hat is off to them.

Good show.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games