Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old May 15th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Sertorius is surprisingly tart
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Ibixian Ridge Raiders and Herd Chief Baabas by Typhon2222 and Sertorius have each received 4 YES to review votes (Dad_Scaper, Killometer, nyys, ZBeeblebrox) and move on in the process.
Yay!

Also, Killometer, I didn't realize you were the Killometer when we were all at the meet in the SouthBay the other day (I'm new to this forum stuff). If I had, I would have "compelled" you to look at some customs then!

Last edited by Sertorius; May 15th, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I interpreted it to work the same way I designed my Rat Swarms' Scramble ability to work-if you move to a hex 1-3 levels higher than the one you start on you count is as moving 1 space, if you try to move to a hex 4+ levels higher you have to count all the spaces.
Yes, exactly. I think everything else that is not mentioned there stays normal by default. It's no big deal to add a disclaimer about climbing and falling at the end, though, if deemed necessary.
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertorius View Post
Quote:
I interpreted it to work the same way I designed my Rat Swarms' Scramble ability to work-if you move to a hex 1-3 levels higher than the one you start on you count is as moving 1 space, if you try to move to a hex 4+ levels higher you have to count all the spaces.
Yes, exactly. I think everything else that is not mentioned there stays normal by default. It's no big deal to add a disclaimer about climbing and falling at the end, though, if deemed necessary.
Wait a minute, NOT exactly! Sertorius, that's not how we designed these guys, and sure isn't how we playtested them. We intended the Surefooted (like our Floating) to be a flat discount. So that if moving up to a hex 1, 2, or 3 levels higher, the Ibixians pay 1 movement. If moving to a hex 4 levels higher, they pay 2 movement. A hex 5 levels higher, 3 movement, etc.

Let me quote myself, from something I wrote in reply to Dad_Scaper in our customs thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Surefooted says Ridge Raiders. I hope you took the language from Killometer's rats, check his thread, he did the same power and wrote it up well.
Heh, actually, I only read the text of Killo's card for the first time last night. No, our Surefooted is derived from the Float power we designed for our five Beholders (such as Ormathulak). We wanted something that was midway between flying and walking, and would be appropriate for creatures that hover over the ground and float along in spectral fashion. We're very proud of the Float power actually, because it seems to do something we've never seen before. Like flying, it allows easier movement over rough terrain and elevation change, and over water; but it doesn't allow one to ignore obstacles, or to fly over other figures. Then when designing the Ibixians, we realized that it would also work to model surefooted mountain creatures which are at home in hilly terrain. Remove from Float the ability to go over water, and you get Surefooted.

Looking at Killo's Scramble for his Rat Swarm, I see it's potentially ambiguous as to what would happen if dealing with more than 2 levels of elevation change. Say he wanted to go up 3 levels from one hex to another. Does he ignore the first 2 but pay for the 3rd, thus costing 2 movement total (1 up and 1 over)? Or does the power give no bonus at all when dealing with changes greater than 2 levels (so it would cost 4 movement)? Of course, Killo's card doesn't have to deal with this possible ambiguity, because his Rat Swarm only has height of 2 anyway, so it would never be an issue. But we had to face it when creating Float and Surefooted for our units, 'cuz they're taller. So we phrased it carefully: not something like "ignore elevations of 2 or less", but "ignore up to 2 levels of elevation per hex". (Or in the case of our Ibixians, 3 levels.)
EDIT: Waves to everyone from D.C. (on holidays there).

Last edited by Typhon2222; May 16th, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Oh yeah, oops, I didn't read that last part of Killometer's sentence closely enough. So moving climbing up a 4-high cliff for a Goatman would cost 2 move (1,2,3 ignored, then 1 up and 1 over). My bad.
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:10 AM

Strack9 knows what's in an order marker Strack9 knows what's in an order marker

I think that the fact that there've already been 2 different interpretations, other than the intent of the ability, lends weight to the notion that Surefooted could use clarification of some sort.

Take a look at my customs
Take a look at my maps
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs

Last edited by Strack9; May 16th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM

dfonse is surprisingly tart

hi, I would like to know how ican get involved in the SOV. I visit this site often and I'm interested. Thank you.
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Sure! Go to the OP and look at the units we're currently considering. Feel free to play with them, using proxies if you don't have the right miniature, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your interest!

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

To expand slightly on D_S's statement...

This project is almost 100% in the public eye, and I think that that is one of its strengths, and all the judges welcome feedback on any unit from any member, but please, unless you are a judge, don't cast a vote. If you think a unit is well-priced, or unbalanced, or you find an interesting synergy that you haven't seen mentioned yet, or just have an exciting battle report to share, we'd love to hear your experiences, just please don't post "YES/NO to review or induct".

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Since we now have something to begin to play with, I figured I'd start this: Competitive SoV & C3V armies.

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Zettian Infantry by dok

Game Play
I really like what dok did here with the Zettian Infantry. He created a way to keep Deathwalkers alive when they're struck by a non-attacking auto-kill ability (Circuitry Replacement), and he also brought in a Utgar Soulborg squad that very nicely compliments all the DWs (Utgar Soulborg Bonding).

With a move value of only 4 they can be difficult to get around the board, though that is where a very nice tie to the Warden factors in since the ZI are Guards and benefit from the Warden's Guard Leadership bonus. A great synergy that gets an underused unit to the table. It's possible you're 'forced' to use the Warden with these guys since they don't pack a lot of punch (2A) and their range is very short (4R), you really need that extra movement to get them into striking distance.

I found that the ZI rarely dominated, and it's still plenty easy for the DW to wiff and not be saved, but they do hang around. Getting as many sets of the ZI on the table as possible was one strategy I tried, and it worked pretty well. Much like an assembly line of unlimited troops. Rats are also a good play with them. Slow em down and pick em off. Though this can also be difficult on a flat map where the ZI can't take height. Their attack of two really doesn't cut it.

Cost
The 65 point cost to get a squad of these guys into your army works well. I also would not have hesitated to cost them at 60, but 65 does not detract from the overall package.

Models
The models used for this squad are from the Star Wars minis line (Super Battle Droids). Some may take issue with a recognized 'character' from another universe, and I can relate to that. But I think the Battle Droids are far enough removed from being any type of main character for this to be a non-issue. I enjoy the Star Wars movies, but that's the extent of my involvement, which I'm sure contributes to my not having an issue with these figures.

There are several different sculpts, all of which will work for this squad. As for how they match-up with other Scape units it really depends on who you put them next to for comparison. Next to the likes of the Warden I found that they meshed well with the Scape Universe. On the other hand next to a Deathreaver the scale was a bit off IMO.

Availability
There are plenty of Super Battle Droid figures available on the market at very reasonable prices (check site sponsors first). You can get a squad of 3 for $3, which is very much in line with Scape prices at your local Walmart when they were available.

Conclusion
I feel the pros outweigh the very few cons with this unit. This unit is a lot of fun to play, and if you're a Deathwalker fan, then you have to give them a try. You still won't dominate with the DWs, and you're still going to wiff and not be able to do anything about it. But the ZI makes you think you can win a game or two with the DWs (and you can), instead of just lining them up and waiting for the inevitable.

I vote YES to induct the Zettian Infantry into the SoV.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14

Last edited by nyys; May 19th, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ollie? Where's Ollie. He should see this.

Thanks, nyys, for setting an even higher standard for the quality of review we're supposed to be writing here.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like how the Zettian Infantry review was outlined. You guys should create a universal template like that so that you reviews are formatted the same. I wold give nyys +rep if I could. Unfortunately, I need to spread some more around.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs