Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old March 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: dok's D&D minis customs

Do you have any suggested/ recommended armies for Mallok? I might have some spare time to run a playtest or two and I'd like to give this vision a shot now that I know it fits on a base. not sure if I should play it as a double spacer or not either. obviously it can be done, but one of he powers involves engagement and the base definitely plays a role there.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Deepwyrm Drow - as many as fit the points, and then Estivara if you want. I would mix in Airborne Elite, Marro Warriors, and Fen Hydras if you want assorted high-quality adds. A special attacker doesn't hurt, I guess, but they need special attack killers more. Raelin is not great for them.

I guess I'd play him single-hexed if you have the choice. Argh... now I have to rebase mine, I guess.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

While my earlier effort with an unpainted figure from the recent board game releases probably won't work as a Heroscape figure due to basing concerns, this one does work:

The original figure, which I used for the picture, is the Dracolich from the War of the Dragon Queen release. While you have to pay $50 for that figure, it is the same sculpt as the unpainted "Gravestorm Dracolich" from the Castle Ravenloft board game. Auggie is selling the single for five bucks. It is a bone-colored plastic already, and doesn't look terrible just playing as-is. Because of the plastic color, it would be fairly easy to do some touch-up painting as opposed to a full paint job.

I used wire-cutters to trim the base down to Heroscape size; I had to take one paw off the base but it still fits fine in a 2-hex pit and doesn't present any stinger-denial issues. As you can see in this picture, the overall size and stance is fairly comparable to our venerable Ullar dragon:

From a balance perspective, this one was quite a challenge. I wanted to create an experience that was different than any of the current dragons. I think it's clear this guy is most similar to Braxas, but the overall effect ends up being pretty different, I think. The ability to hit large/huge figures changes the dynamic quite a bit - this guy is a lot better against Hydras and Q9 than Braxas is. But he's weaker against squads and weaker against small/medium heroes. The OM removal ability is powerful, but tempered by the high roll required (and the fact that I seem to always seemed to pull the "X" in testing ).

I didn't really find him unbalanced overall. I decided to make him Undead in stead of a Dragon, so that he wouldn't have Greenscale synergy (which seems like a stretch to me, thematically). Nidhog+Mezzodemons got overwhelmed by a standard soldiers&warlords build. Nidhog consistently got beaten by his points' worth of stingers, both in simulation and in practice. The only time Nidhog builds really felt extremely powerful was when put against non-disengaging, non-special attacking melee when fronted by rats (I know, big shocker there). Even then, it was fairly close - Gilbert+KoWx3 managed to crack the ratsx3 screen, but couldn't take Nidhog down despite about 6 or 7 hacks at him. Incorporating Nidhog into larger ratpodges didn't seem to do any better than usual against armies that were equipped with good special attackers.

Still, this guy was a challenge, for sure, and I'm interested in others' thoughts on him.

Last edited by dok; March 18th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Looks good except for the mini pic on the card. He looks like a wyrmling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Are you saying I should blow the pic up a bit? I was trying to get the whole dragon in the frame. (ETA: I played with a bigger image, and you're right, it looks better that way.)

Incidentally, this is my first use of the highres Valkrill blank, although I've also upgraded my Skeletal Cyclops card to use the new highres as well. I had to write a custom style file in MSE because it's slightly differently-sized than the Mooseman blanks, but it looks great. Thanks, robbdaman and crossgrain!

Last edited by dok; March 18th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

how do you have time to do all of these? *Actually, i should shut up. I spent like 30 hours on dragon age 2 in the last 2 weeks while procrastinating on my schoolwork...

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Are you saying I should blow the pic up a bit? I was trying to get the whole dragon in the frame. (ETA: I played with a bigger image, and you're right, it looks better that way.)

Incidentally, this is my first use of the highres Valkrill blank, although I've also upgraded my Skeletal Cyclops card to use the new highres as well. I had to write a custom style file in MSE because it's slightly differently-sized than the Mooseman blanks, but it looks great. Thanks, robbdaman and crossgrain!
The High rez looks awsome btw once printed and laminated. I'll likely make this a requirement for Valkrill customs I'm selling....outstanding work.
......Andrew

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:12 PM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

I really like the dracolich card. I just purchased the Wrath of Aheradon so I hope to see more great cards of the figures. Did you use the Magic Easy card creator or Gimp? for your cards? They look great.
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman-chu View Post
I really like the dracolich card. I just purchased the Wrath of Aheradon so I hope to see more great cards of the figures.
Thanks. I do have a couple more coming down the pipe, although now that I've joined the borg C3V I have less time for my own customs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman-chu View Post
Did you use the Magic Easy card creator or Gimp? for your cards? They look great.
I use MSE, although I prepare the images and the hitzone images in Gimp (see the last link in my signature). For the Dracolich, I had to make a custom style file to match the highres Valkrill blank.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have to say that your Mallok has me tempted to actually break down and buy one of these customs that Auggie's is selling. I have nothing against customs in general or Auggie's selling them, I just have been reluctant to put my limited funds into figures that I may not be able to use against other players. Mallok however addresses a huge hole where the Drow are concerned (and I love the Drow).
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker

From the SoV Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezie View Post
I know I'm not very outspoken on these boards but I couldn't help but notice that the Deepwater Warrior, the way I read it at least, can cause an unlimited amount of Deepwater Warriors to be activated in a single turn, thus being broken. If that was not a misinterpretation on my part I think it should be revised by dok and resubmitted.
You might mention it in dok's thread, too, but I am glad to see these types of concerns posted here. I don't necessarily make it to every designer's thread to read every post about their units, but I do read every post here.

As far as the infinite bonding loop, it looks like you may be right. We may have a record for shortest turnaround for an SoV nominee.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me -Psalm 23:4
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Already fixed to match the wyrmling language. I also fixed the Pugilitron and Hoplitron language. Thanks for the sharp eye.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs