Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 14th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: BiggaBullfrog's Maps-Moltenclaw's Gulch Updated 1/9

I played on forest brawl at the Christmas tourney in MD- My friend loved it (he played rats x3 omnicron snipers x2, Krav against x5 blade gruts, grimmy, hydra?) but I didn't like it as much. I played against death chasers of thesk and he got orc battle rush and initiative.

Wiped out a big chunk of my army before I could react. Not hugely fair.

I probably would have lost to him anyway- he went on to win the tournament.

I think that if the river were a little bit wider (2 spaces wide?) it would be more fair. the other battles were a little more clean, without any complaints. 90% of the people playing on it liked it- still pretty good.
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
I played on forest brawl at the Christmas tourney in MD- My friend loved it (he played rats x3 omnicron snipers x2, Krav against x5 blade gruts, grimmy, hydra?) but I didn't like it as much. I played against death chasers of thesk and he got orc battle rush and initiative.
Thanks for the feedback!

I think the Death Chasers of Thesk admittedly have the potential to control Forest Brawl, along with Interception and Don't Call it a Comeback... (I don't own them and haven't proxied them, so I don't know first hand). When going up against them on one of these (or another split-start zone map), I think the best way to counter their Battle Rush would be to start farther back in the map and take more of a turtling approach-giving your opponent map control but hopefully spreading his/her forces pretty thin in the process-but that's just theoryscape. I'll have to proxy them to see for sure.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:29 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Moltenclaw's Gulch 2.1

Bigga & I were unable to adequately discuss all modifications before he left; he didn't have time to upload the build changes, either.

Improvements (besides those Bigga already covered in post #44):
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by UtahScott; February 5th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:05 AM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

It's been a nice while since I've posted here

However, I have been messing around with not just a map, but also a scenario lately, that I have finally decided to post up here (even though it's almost midnight here--it's pretty much become now or never for me and I'd prefer now).

Little backstory to the map (you can skip if you just want to get to the goods below)--I spent two years in Japan, two years I very much enjoyed, but did not get to play any 'Scape during. Before that time, whenever I played 'Scape, I would tend to get competitive, especially with my brother. Not to where I'd be overbearing in trying to bend things to my advantage; I just played strong armies I knew would win against whatever my brother threw at me. Basically, trying to create a double-blind draft tourney-style thingy in my game room. My brother didn't like that a whole lot, so I was surprised when I got home (in fact, it was the day after the night I got back--it hadn't been 24 hours) and my brother challenged me to a game of 'Scape. So we built a fun map, and had some really fun games. I thought about why, and I determined it was because that more than winning, simply enjoying time with my brother had become my priority, and did things like giving him tips and using figures I'd never used before (which was surprisingly awesome--Erevan and Moriko kick butt and are now a couple of my favorite heroes).

Anyway, all these games and fun memories kind of made me really want to make not just maps, but scenarios that would shake up gameplay to create those fun memories for others. Like the armies I'd made before, a lot of the maps I've made before focused a lot on the competitive aspect, something to use in a tourney. But I wanted to make something cooler, something that while the map itself wasn't competitive, the memories made would be. Also, due to the time spent in Japan, I wanted to make it somewhat reminiscent of that as well. Thus, after many drafts and tests and all that other stuff that goes into map/scenario-making, I came up with:

Ishigaki Island

Map Download

Scenario Download

So as far as inspiration for the map goes--the accompanying scenario is based on a song I heard and really came to like while I was in Japan called Shimanchu nu Takara. The song is by a group called Begin who hail from a small island called Ishigaki (meaning Stone Wall). Thus, I decided that since I wanted an island to go with the scenario, I might as well make the name Ishigaki to give props to them.

I really like the map itself for what it is--it started out much more asymmetrical than what it is now, but I don't mind so much. I think it's pretty solid on its own, but even more so with the scenario.

So here's the good part. That song I mentioned, Shimanchu nu Takara, was the inspiration for the scenario. Basically I dissected it into four sections--first verse, second verse, third verse, and title--and made those into four different scenarios. Then I got the idea of, instead of letting players just choose a scenario and draft for it (which you are more than welcome to do if you wish), I would spice things up and keep players on their toes by making it so any of the four scenarios may occur. Thus, when you're drafting, you're not just drafting with the mindset of "Okay, I've got to kill all his guys he's drafting," or "Alright, grab all the glyphs, got to draft guys good for that." Instead, your mindset is "Okay, so I need to draft an army that is flexible enough to be able to either A. kill all his guys, B. grab all the glyphs, C. hold a glyph for a long time, or D. kill all my opponent's heroes." One army, four options. From my experience, the draft is a very fun part of that scenario.

So yeah, that's more or less it, assuming I haven't left anything out. Quick disclaimer: the song I based this off of has no mention towards violence of any kind--it is a very peaceful and feel good song and does not endorse this scenario at all. I just took words from it and used them.

Alright, thanks for checking this out. Please download it, look it over. Give it a whirl if you like. Questions are more than welcome. And, as always, please leave comments and critiques to help this (or any) of my maps/scenarios get better.

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; June 6th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Re: BiggaBullfrog's Maps and Scenarios-Double Update 9/18

Two new maps here, made for the Ruins of Valhalla map contest. I'm pretty pleased with both of them. From the Ashes plays really well - well balanced with all builds as far as I could tell in my playtesting. It's also the first map in which I used the battlements primarily for LoS blocking. Earlier all I'd really thought to use them for was aesthetic and/or pathing purposes - I hadn't realized how well they can be used as LoS blockers until recently. Jotun Tripped... is bigger than I usually aim for (at least, than I recently have aimed for), but I think it plays well. In my playtesting it was still pretty balanced all around. That said, it's been such a *long time since I've actively worked on playtesting and developing maps that I'm definitely more than rusty, so if you end up using one let me know what you think!

Backstories for the contest are included below.

From the Ashes

Requires: 1 RotV, 1 VW, 1 FotA
Spoiler Alert!

Joutn Tripped...

Requires: 1 SotM, 1 BftU, 1 RttFF
Spoiler Alert!

I hope to be uploading a few more maps soonish. I have some new ideas (and I recently made myself some Thaelenk Tundra terrain, so there will be at least one of those maps in store). I also have some ideas to revamp some of my old maps to make them better. I have no idea on a timeframe though, as it will have to be balanced with playtesting my customs, playtesting other customs (I play on doing some C3V work before the end of the year), and my life that has decided to hit me on all sides with stuff. But I'm sure it will only be so long before I make this Jungle and Tundra map that's been sitting in my head the past few weeks. So we'll see.

10 Points Under Videos

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; September 18th, 2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: *Only 3 years. That's not too bad, right?....
Old October 17th, 2016, 04:31 AM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks for posting these Bigga. It was fun to check out what you did in the build downloads.

~tgx
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
Thanks for posting these Bigga. It was fun to check out what you did in the build downloads.

~tgx
It's great to hear from you tannergx! I'm glad you enjoyed looking at them. I really owe a lot of the inspiration for From the Ashes to your Ruins of Fort McAda. I played a few games on it a while back and loved it.

And I didn't realize you're in California now. That's too bad, it was great being able to meet up with you at events. You know, like six years ago.

10 Points Under Videos

Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:09 AM

Finally finished this map that I've been working on and off for months, ever since I made my custom Tundra terrain. It uses both of my custom terrain sets (Tundra and Jungle) and looks pretty neat with them - I bet it looks better with the real stuff. Anyway, I'm super pleased with how this map turned out. It's pretty, fun, and balanced, and I've been impressed with how my games on it have turned out. Of course, that is all my own opinion - feel free to let me know what your is!

April

Requires: 1 RotV, 1 TT, 1 TJ

Also, I forgot to add these earlier. A couple maps I made for lefton4ya's Cryptolith Map Contest.

Highways Over Innistrad

Spoiler Alert!

Circles Over Innistrad

Spoiler Alert!

10 Points Under Videos

Old April 10th, 2017, 08:59 AM

zeekthefreak knows what's in an order marker zeekthefreak knows what's in an order marker
Re: BiggaBullfrog's Maps and Scenarios - Update 2/1

Love the maps. Alot of them are only 1 or two sets which is good for all the people who dont have alot of sets. (Cough cough -->me)
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:24 AM

Re: BiggaBullfrog's Maps and Scenarios - Update 2/1

Thanks for the complement! I've actually been wanting to do a series of maps that require small amounts of terrain (1 Master Set and 1 Expansion), but haven't gotten to that cause I've been playtesting customs so much recently. Someday though, hopefully soon, I'll start giving mapmaking the time I want to again.

10 Points Under Videos

Old March 1st, 2019, 12:18 AM

Re: BiggaBullfrog's Maps and Scenarios - New Map!? 2/28

Whaaaaat!?

It's been two years since I've uploaded a map (feels like more) and I feel completely out of my element! But while playing around studying on the school library computer I learned that downloading is cool, and got the ol' Virtualscape running on it (I have a Mac, so can't run it on my own computer).

After a bunch of memory games, I was able to recreate a map I built last year that turned out pretty well from a single picture of it. Then I forced myself down memory lane to make a picture, a .pdf, and figure out how to upload them (and change a .bmp to a .jpeg so I could edit the picture). It feels super weird doing it again, but I couldn't stop in my giddiness, and I figured I'd take it all the way and post it up! So here you go: a not spectacular but pretty darn okay map called:

The Feast Hall of Ash (1 BftU, 1 MtCB, 1 FotA, 1 VW)

No, it's not very true to its source material at all. It's more of a concept for another map I want to build someday, and hopefully will. Now just to see if I can use this computer to create custom cards too.... It will be weird to start producing stuff again and not just critiquing others'. I also really need to clean up this thread's OP. And get better maps in there. So many maps from my teenage years that just... aren't great.

10 Points Under Videos

Old March 1st, 2019, 01:29 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: BiggaBullfrog's Maps and Scenarios - New Map!? 2/28

I like this one quite a lot!

Using 4 sets for one map is a bit of an investment of resources, but I love the aesthetic you pulled off.

I used school library computers for VS many times in college, so I'm glad you figured that out!

By the way, I have links in my signature with tutorials for posting maps and making custom cards in case you need a more thorough memory jog (although it looks like you remembered the maps stuff pretty well).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios