Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old January 30th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

MarroCloner164's Dagger has received 3 NO votes (Dad_Scaper, Lamaclown, ZBeeblebrox) and is removed from the process.

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Really, I'm mostly just curious, as I'm sure there are others, on what level of quality is required here? Not everyone has great Photoshop/GIMP/InDesign/etc skills to make cards look awesome. I know there are those that create cards in MSPaint because much else is beyond them. Knowing such info can help them at least seek out help perhaps from CHCG24 or 3FG. I know such things are listed in the first few posts of this thread but its good to reiterate such things because we all know there are people that aren't going to read back as they should.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death!

Just from a non judge. Perhaps you should have someone get official templates for all the generals together and make high-res PDFs for all passed cards. Then it doesn't matter the submitted format as much. (text only would need a standard template) I think hindering someone with a good custom just because they can't card it is sad.

I also respect you have standards here but is it the powers or the entire aesthetics of the card that you look at?

Welcome to C3G | C3G Playtesting Sign Up | C3G Books of Index

Praise about C3G: "This is great. The cards have everything you need to know about the figure on them."
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:44 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

More from another non-judge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcglkn View Post
Just from a non judge. Perhaps you should have someone get official templates for all the generals together and make high-res PDFs for all passed cards.
That's not a bad idea. If someone volunteers, I don't think they'll say no. They will need to do some work to slap on the SoV logo anyway. Of course, for all I know one of the people in the project is already planning on doing this.

Quote:
Then it doesn't matter the submitted format as much. (text only would need a standard template)
It doesn't matter as much, sure, but it still matters. It helps to see the abilities on the card to get a sense of whether the card feels like it fits in classic-scape. Also, somebody has to hunt down an appropriate image for the card, and that, too, should be on the designer.

Quote:
I think hindering someone with a good custom just because they can't card it is sad.
What, exactly, are they being "hindered" from, tcglkn? They can still post customs without cards to their heart's content. The only thing they can't do is nominate their (non-existent) card for SoV (without getting someone else's help, anyway, which they probably could if they asked).

Perhaps more significantly, Magic Set Editor is really easy to use. Gimpshopping images is a bit trickier, but there's a couple good tutorials out there. Take Dagger, for instance (sorry MarroCloner - it's not the worst example I've seen, just the most recent.) Even setting aside the misspelling, the ability text is too small and is irregularly spaced, and the left-side and right-side stats are not properly aligned. He's done the hard part (formatting an image and a hitzone); if he made that card in MSE it would look, to my eye, much, much better.

Frankly, this really isn't much to ask. If someone says they can't make cards, they probably haven't tried MSE. I'm pretty terrible at freehand stuff in drawing programs, but despite that, I think my cards look pretty good.

I don't really want to start playing the project comparison game, but if we're talking about barriers to getting involved in the project, this one is not very high.

Quote:
I also respect you have standards here but is it the powers or the entire aesthetics of the card that you look at?
I think the SoV judges have been clear that they are judging the whole package, and that includes the card.

Perhaps what you, or robdaman, or others should do is put together a thread where people can get their ideas turned into cards, or to get help with their cards on purely aesthetic/formatting questions. That would be a very positive way to address this issue.
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:49 AM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I personally don't have a problem with non-standard formatting, as long as it's reasonable close, (since, iirc, any inducted card will have to be reformatted with the SoV logo, anyways) but I do prefer that a submitted card hs proper spelling and grammar throughout.

Fwiw, I would have voted no to Dagger as well-I like his intent, but I think that Chosen Target need some clarification, and, as it's written, Warforged Stealth makes him invulnerable against range (one shield blocks all damage, and he adds an automatic shield to his defense rolls).

Edit: More detail in MarroCloner164's Customs thread, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Killometer; January 30th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Cards get reformatted anyway. As dok said, MSE is a breeze to use, we've used it at our home and the kid pretty much figured it out all by himself.

Also a couple of people have volunteered their services in helping with card creation, IIRC.

Tickle, in all seriousness, I wonder which customs, here or elsewhere, our expectations relating to the card itself - not spelling or English-related expectations - are holding back.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; January 30th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have mustered up my guts for this. I would like to nominate my Crypt Guards. I ran the card through 3FG yesterday, and thus far I think they are one of my more polished units.

Intended to boost Sudema and a hero I have planned for Valkrill.
  • The figures are Mummy from Harbinger which you may be able to find on Auggies. I bought 3 for almost $6 each. The other one is the Guardian Mummy from Desert of Desolation. I have had to get these guys from eBay. Usually around $4 or $5. You could proxy them with ZoM who are about the same size and have very similar stances.
  • I played around with a couple of powers for them. I always wanted to make sure they had Undead Queen Bonding, but the other powers have changed a couple of times. If you look up abilities for mummies in D&D the primary is rotting touch which basically makes someone flesh start to decay like he or she is dead. At one point I had the Rotting Touch power as an aura that would reduce the attack and defense of opponent figures within two clear sight spaces and it would boost to six if the CG were within four spaces of an undead queen. That seemed to be a little much. Plus I wanted to make sure that they were a fairly cheap squad and it would be hard to do that if they had a power like that one, so instead I decided on the power they have now. Killometer has given me some great advance to refine the wording of Rotting Touch.
  • Stragetically I would use them as blockers to prevent the enemy from getting to their queen. They are not really fast enough to go out and grab a hero, hold him down until Sudema can come up and try to turn him to stone a couple times. I would move her to advantagous position and surround her with these guys. Your opponents wants to take her out, because of her high point value but with these guys around that might be easier said than done.
Bring on the feedback. I am ready!
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM

You already know how I feel about them. I vote YES to review.

Old January 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I love everything about them but one thing.

The card is perfectly written, I suspect the price point is just about exactly right. They are loaded with theme and their mechanics are interesting and yet very simple.

I am not at all confident that zombies will be an acceptable proxy. I am also surprised, having now spent 5 minutes or so looking, that there are roughly one million miniature zombies in various forms but almost no miniature mummies. Regardless, testing will reveal an acceptable proxy or perhaps trollandtoad (or whoever) will find a stash of these things in a cabinet somewhere.

Well.

I am concerned in the end I will have to vote no because of miniature availability, which I'm reluctant to do later when I can cast that same vote sooner. But I do like everything about the card, from concept to theme to execution, so I'll vote yes to reviewing Crypt Guards.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

At first glance there is nothing about the Crypt Guards that makes me go "Wow!".

They don't bring anything overly original to the table as far as abilities- bonding and a d20 bonus; things we have seen before. What they do bring to the table that I like is that they give a boost (that isn't over-the-top) to a fig I have that has never seen the battlefield in my hands- Sudema. I am curious as to what viability they will give to her.

So, on the merit of their not-over-the-top boosting factor for a very underused unit, I will vote YES to review the Crypt Guards.
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

I vote Yes to review the Crypt Guards.

I am very concerned about availability, but I do like that they help a favorite unit of mine, that rarely sees the light of day.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:32 PM

Super Bogue's Crypt Guards has received 4 YES to review votes (Dad_Scaper, Killometer, Lamaclown, ZBeeblebrox) and moves on in the process.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs