Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old December 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Rules for Single-Figure Gladiator-Style Combat

After playing Anachronism, I thought it would be fun to create a similar game that used most standard Heroscape rules. I have had a lot of fun playing it! Its portable - Fits in a pizza box! Its fast - I think even 6 could play at once.

"The Ring of Honor"

The standard map is a hexagon with five hexes on each side.

Each player chooses one figure. Points are unimportant. Figures from squads may be used, just increase the life by one for the unrepresented figures. (example: Use one Knight of Weston, but he is now considered to have 4 life) The boost in life is due to the intense training and support the single figure receives so that he may represent his squad well!

All rules of standard Heroscape are in effect unless otherwise noted. As no order markers are used, any special power or special attack that uses the phrase “order marker” is not valid.

Specific Rules for Hero to Hero combat:

FACING: It is important to know which way your figure is facing. Some figures may need a small sticker placed on the base to show which way the figure is facing. Figures may only attack the three forward hexes. All ranged attacks must proceed in the same forward-facing 120 degree arc.

VULNERABILITY: The three hexes to the rear of a figure's facing are more vulnerable to attack. The center rear hex is -2 defense dice. The adjacent rear hexes are -1 defense die. This applies to melee AND ranged attacks. For double-spaced figures, some face the side of the base (All Dragons, Fen Hydra, Sujoah, Wo-sa-ga, Me-Burq-Sa, Theracus, Jotun) and some face the longer side (Q9, Q10, Gurei Oni, Zetacron, Iron Golem) Double-spaced figures are surrounded by eight hexes. Only the three rear hexes have vulnerability. Interestingly, with figures like Q9 and Zetacron, they can be in a strong defensive position along any straight edge, not just in a corner. This is simply a natural advantage that such figures have in the Ring of Honor!

DODGING: Sure a ranged attack can take you by surprise as you stroll through the woods, but not so in the Ring of Honor!!! When any figure is targeted for a ranged attack, count the number of spaces between the attacker and the defender. Roll the same number of dice as the count of spaces between. Each blank rolled counts as a DODGE. A dodge is an immediate move to any adjacent hex up to the number of blanks rolled. The movement can be lateral, a retreat, or an advance, it is up to the defender. Special attacks which target multiple hexes (like Shotgun blast) affect multiple hexes. Therefore a figure may need additional dodge movement to move laterally from a shotgun blast or explosion attack!

ENGAGEMENT: Standard Heroscape rules apply regarding leaving engagement attacks. However, no movement around the figure is allowed. EACH hex adjacent to a figure is considered a seperate engagement. A leaving engagement attack witll be rolled for EACH hex that an figure moves through that is adjacent to another figure. (Example: Sonlen is face to face with Kamon Awa. Sonlen wants to get better position and attack Kamon Awa's vulnerable sides, so he begins his move to circle Kamon Awa. It will take Sonlen 3 moves to get around to the vulnerable -2 side of Kamon Awa, therfore Kamon Awa will roll 3 separate leaving engagement attacks. NO defense dice are rolled by Sonlen in this example!)

I welcome feedback!

El Diabolo

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM

Commander GD Woo who?
Re: Rules for Single-Figure Gladiator-Style Combat

Vunerability and dodging are pretty interesting, though I would make it -1 Defense instead of 2 (2 is a bit overpowered IMO).

The Engagement doesn't appeal to me as much. Personally, when I move a figure around to get in a better postition I see it more of a rotation while the combat continues, not running away. Still though, it's an interesting idea.
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Seems like high Life will be important; especially with more players, because getting into an engagement means leaving those figures vulnerable to the ones not already engaged. Explosion type attacks should be fun to try dodging multiple times!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I think that powers referencing order markers should get some sort of amendment rather than just nuking them. In the extreme interpretation of that rule, Silver Surfer loses his special attack. Also you mention the importance of facing, but I didn't see any mention of how facing is handled in movement.
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Bloodthorn is surprisingly tart

interesting idea, i may have to try it out first to get a good feel for it.
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

This was quick fun. It's interesting at least how Move becomes more important and Range less so. Of course, it also depends on how you build your small map.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I think that powers referencing order markers should get some sort of amendment rather than just nuking them. In the extreme interpretation of that rule, Silver Surfer loses his special attack. Also you mention the importance of facing, but I didn't see any mention of how facing is handled in movement.
The idea about negating order markers arose with the character Siege and his "crag of Steel" power. I may have to amend the language used here as many special powers say "after an order marker is revealed" which I do not mean to negate (like with Sonlen)

Facing is determined as the final part of a character's move. If a figure is "working its way around" another figure, facing is determined for each hex... although since defense dice are not rolled against leaving engagement attacks it would not normally be an issue.

My goal is to create a variant of Heroscape that only uses one figure for each player... yet is somehow tactically satisfying. As a side note, just using a small board and single figures is a good way to teach a new player the rules of movement for the larger game... it tends to be less overwhelming when scaled down.

Old December 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

If you don't mind, I'd like to link this game mode to the Heroes of 'Scape thread. I think the two would go together lovely.
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM

That would be fine! I would like all available synergy to work toward making this a rewarding, playable game. I really think that it offers some great new options for multiplayer and even entire 5 session tournaments that could take less than an hour. Not only that but at the end of a tournament when there is not enough time left for a full battle... You, me... Sonlen VS Kaemon Awa in the ring? If you have 10 minutes... you could have a match up!

Old December 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM

elitebeatk is surprisingly tart

Heh. Ring of Honor + Taelord's Colloseum = FUN!
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM

Mythic knows what's in an order marker Mythic knows what's in an order marker Mythic knows what's in an order marker

Like the facing rules....been working on a more tactical variant myself....

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Very cool. It reminds me more of Battletech in this style of play. Death Knights have a life of 2 Same with MezzoDemons and only one marker, hmm maybe that is not so bad. Looking forward to more! No Zombie Onslaught but killing and turning your opponent would still be very satisfying.
Also I like the dodge, very Palladium/Rifts like. nice work

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; March 15th, 2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: No ZRA if no zombies are already dead :(

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions