Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:32 AM

lxnrhinners has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Save Planet Earth - Recycle your Wasted Attacks

I just thought of something, that the more I ponder it, the obviouser (yes, that is now a word) it seems like it should be implemented into Heroscape.

When you attack a figure and fail, but still roll skulls, I think that you should be able to direct the attack at a figure adjacent to the initial target, within range. So basically, that bullet you just shot doesn't totally vaporize--it still might hit somebody...just not who you intended to. It would work with melee attacks, too.
( <"Oop--sorry! I meant to shank him! My bad!"
<"..." )

I'm thinking that the miss target might have to roll less defense dice, as they weren't expecting it. (But then again, neither was the original target... )
But at any rate, the attacker would not reroll, and the defender could treat the attack as if they were the target (for Disappearing Ninja, etc.). However, they would not be able to do things that respond to that figure being targeted (for Smoke Powder 13, etc.). In other words, the new defending figure can do things that are in response to the actual attack, but not to being chosen for the attack, if that makes any sense.

However, it's late, I'm sleep-deprived, and I've got work to do. Let me know if you think this would work, or if it's too powerful, or if the miss target would have to be randomized...

~ If we knew the meaning of life, life would have no meaning. ~

Last edited by lxnrhinners; May 2nd, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Old Rough and Ready is surprisingly tart
Re: Save Planet Earth - Recycle your Wasted Attacks

Interesting Idea, though a more random element might be nice. Not sure what would work, but you got a great start!

My Customs (Check Em' Out!)
Star Trek Scape (personal figures) (Going Where No Heroscaper Has Gone Before...)
Chief Engineer (Self-proclaimed) at TrekScape
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks, ORR! I've worked on this a little bit since I last posted this, and here's what I've come up with for how to do a more randomized scenario:
Quote:
Missed Attacks
When declaring an attack, the attacker may specify another figure adjacent to the defending figure within Line of Sight of the attacking figure. When a figure rolls for defense, they also roll a 20-sided die.
If a figure attacks and at least 2 skulls are rolled, and the defending figure does not take any damage, all adjacent figures roll a combat dice. (If the original defending figure moved, roll for figures adjacent to where the defending figure was when being attacked.) If a skull is rolled for a figure, that figure is subject to being the target of the missed attack.
~ If the 20-sided die rolled a 1-10, the attacking player must choose one of these figures (theirs or their opponent’s) that is within Line of Sight of the attacking figure. (If the attacker specified a figure adjacent to the defending figure before attacking, that figure is chosen automatically.)
~ If 11-20 was rolled, the defending player must choose (using the same criteria). This chosen figure is now being attacked. The attacker does not reroll attack dice, and 1 skull is removed from what was rolled. If this attack misses again, the attacker chooses another figure that rolled a skull within Line of Sight of the attacking figure to attack. The attacker continues to do this until one of the figures which rolled a skull receive damage. If no adjacent figure rolls a skull or takes damage, the attack is lost, and play continues.

If the attack has a range of 1, figures cannot be affected by a missed attack unless they are adjacent to the additionally specified figure must also be within range of the attacker.
Example: Player A’s Syvarris wishes to attack Player B’s Sir Denrick, who is adjacent to Player B’s Raelin, Player A’s Deathwalker 9000, and one of Player B’s Roman Archers.

Variation: If no adjacent figure rolls a skull or takes damage, repeat the process for all figures two spaces away the original defending figure (or where they were), rolling two combat dice. If a figure rolls both skulls, they are a potential target of the missed attack (if within Line of Sight of the attacking figure), now with 2 skulls removed from the original roll. No figure may be targeted for a missed attack if there are no skulls rolled. If the attack has a range of 1, figures cannot be affected by a missed attack unless they are adjacent to the additionally specified figure must also be within range of the attacker.
IMO, however, I don't think I'd ever play with this. Does it work well for randomness? I think so. Does it take too much time and effort to work through? Yeah...

So, I think I would stick to using this method:
If, after rolling for damage for an attack, you roll at least 2 skulls, and the defending figure takes no damage, you must choose another figure that is adjacent to the original target and within LOS/range of the attack, even if it's a friendly figure. This new figure must now roll defense dice against the attack dice you rolled, subtracting 1 skull from whatever was rolled. Special abilities that react to rolling of combat dice still apply. If this secondary attack misses, choose another figure meeting the same criteria for both the original attack target and the last attack target, until a hit is made. If no more figures are available to be targeted, the attack is lost, and play continues.

Last edited by lxnrhinners; April 13th, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Utgars_General is surprisingly tart

If you roll skulls though, you obviously hit your target and he simply shrugged it off. Maybe no skulls = half atk rounding down, new target must be partially obscured by the original target.

This represents the bullet missing, but continue going, but because you didn't actively aim it at the other guy, so you have less of a chance of hitting the new victim.

When attacking adjacent figures with a range 1 attack, a figure that is adjacent to both the targeted figure and the attacking model is affected.

Let's say that the attacker is wielding a massive sword and he tries to get, maybe a Knight. He misses the first, but because the motion is continued, the second guy is also hit. That's what this represents.

My Customs Last Updated: June 9th, 2011
-Now with space-and-time saving organization, and 'Nids!
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:52 AM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

Here's a random idea for you. If you roll all blanks on an attack, normal, ranged or otherwise, and there is another figure adjacent to the targeted figure, yours or your opponent's, you must immediately roll an attack for that figure. Kinda like rolling a critical fumble of sorts.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utgars_General View Post
If you roll skulls though, you obviously hit your target and he simply shrugged it off. Maybe no skulls = half atk rounding down, new target must be partially obscured by the original target.

This represents the bullet missing, but continue going, but because you didn't actively aim it at the other guy, so you have less of a chance of hitting the new victim.
HMMMMM.....
interesting.
I guess this is getting into interpretations of what the dice represent. For me, I picture the number of attack dice as representing the amount of critical damage an attack has a chance of doing (hence why ranged attacks are usually less--to show the higher chance of missing the opponent you're shooting at). Each skull is equal to a set amount of critical damage.
Now, the number of defense dice a figure rolls represents their ability to evade attacks. This can either be through simple parrying of the attack, or dodging, or blocking with a shield/weapon, etc. Each shield is equal to evasion of or resistance to a set amount of critical damage.

What I guess I'm trying to say here is: if an attack rolls no skulls, I take that to mean that no force capable of doing critical damage to someone/thing was dealt. This may be explained by the result of a poorly executed swing, a jammed weapon, weakness due to shortness of breath, etc. Therefore, there would be no energy from the attack to carry through.
In addition, I would say that your opponent's rolling of shields means they shrugged off/dodged the attack, not your lack of rolling skulls. I really doubt that an all-skull missile launch from Q9 that is blocked by a good defense roll was "shrugged off."

Perhaps, then, the main question is:
How do you know what was dodged, and what was deflected?
I would argue, like you, UG, that deflected attacks already made their mark, but were simply unsuccessful. But if the attack was dodged...

hm. This is really getting into Philo-scape-phy.

I would apply the same logic to adjacent attacks, as well. (Especially since some figures already have special abilities similar to what you are suggesting.):
Quote:
When attacking adjacent figures with a range 1 attack, a figure that is adjacent to both the targeted figure and the attacking model is affected.

Let's say that the attacker is wielding a massive sword and he tries to get, maybe a Knight. He misses the first, but because the motion is continued, the second guy is also hit. That's what this represents.
Also, your ranged attack logic brings up another question:
Would it be plausible to consider that, in missing, your aim strayed and hit someone between you and the intended target? ?????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
Here's a random idea for you. If you roll all blanks on an attack, normal, ranged or otherwise, and there is another figure adjacent to the targeted figure, yours or your opponent's, you must immediately roll an attack for that figure. Kinda like rolling a critical fumble of sorts.
Hmmmm.....that seems like it would happen WAY too unfrequently to bother with:
Blank side = 1/6 chance
Average attack = 3-ish?
Average probability of rolling all blanks = 1/216
BLEH!!

Last edited by lxnrhinners; May 2nd, 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions