View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2020, 10:53 PM

Doop knows what's in an order marker Doop knows what's in an order marker
Doop's Map Database

Being new to Heroscape, it can be a bit overwhelming looking at the massive number of maps in the Downloads section on this awesome site. I tried looking for a tool to quickly sort through the maps based on sets you own, and while some exist, they all seemed extremely outdated, or lacked the vast majority of files.

I really wanted to have a tool that could show me what I could build and help me figure out what terrain sets I should get as I don't have a large variety of them.

So I went through every single file in the Battlefields section of the Downloads, and catalogued what each map requires as best I could.

This spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vxp0BWui1WDKs/

To use it, just copy it to your drive and enter the sets you own and it will auto load what you can build on the tab called "Maps You Can Build".

Some notes about what is there currently:
  • I so far have only entered the set requirements. My first goal with this database was to get every map catalogued with what it requires, and then do later passes adding more info. I felt like most projects that tried to do this got caught up in trying to do everything all at once which is extremely overwhelming. This way, even if the project gets forgotten in the future, it's still usable for at least something.
  • The link that says "PDF" is also not just PDF links. I haven't gone through and sorted all the files yet, that will be done in the future, so be aware that column is a dirty liar right now.
  • You'll notice that there are other areas where I plan to add in data in further passes, but right now, as of 2020-05-17, they're blank for all maps.
  • Also, anything that said "1/2 [insert set name]" was rounded up. Anything that said "random expansion tiles" had another RotV add to it.
  • Right now there are definitely some dupes, further passes would clean this up.
Now that all the caveats are out of the way, let's talk about some of the fun facts this project has shown me:
  • I looked through a total of 3391 maps.
  • 13.7% of them didn't have set requirements I could easily find and therefore aren't catalogued.
  • Of the maps that did have info, RotV is the most popular Master Set being used in 67.7% of them, while M:tCB was the least popular being used in only 10.3%.
  • The most popular terrain expansion was RttFF in 43.7% of the maps, and the least popular was TT in 14.8%.

All these stats and more can be seen in the spreadsheet as well for your viewing pleasure.

Hopefully somebody else can get some use out of this spreadsheet as it stands now, as I'll probably take a bit of a break before updating with more data. It took quite a bit of time to go through over 3000 maps, lol.

Last edited by Doop; May 21st, 2020 at 03:11 PM.