View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2021, 09:26 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: ScapeCon Map Contest: Deadline May 8th

I certainly agree with what's previously been said regarding the rationale behind avoiding maps like Capuan Arana in a double-blind tournament setting, but I wanted to add one more thought about a generalization (in the way I think about it, at least) to the root issue:

If the map ends up making a significant number of figures move up or down the power rankings more than a half a grade, then it's not ideal for this type of format.

For example with Capuan Arena, Ulginesh & Kurrok would drop down in power rankings considerably (as Vegie mentioned), and flying figures would jump up considerably (i.e. Einar Imperium are actually decent, as they can jump from one SZ pod directly into the next, kill most of the figures, and avoid being engaged by any kind of mele); comparably, mele squads drop considerably and have almost no chance against good flying squads or ranged squads. If one A/A- army has almost no chance against another A/A- army on the given map, then that's an issue.

In general, I feel the best split-SZ maps enhance & decreases just a few key heroes (Cyprien & Kursus for example) but don't affect the overall power-rankings level of most of the 'whole' competitive armies (i.e. Knights v. 4th/10th).