View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Writing nemesis: Stakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I would try starting with the character sometime.
Get to know the character and let them tell you their stories.
I haven't been very responsive lately (to this or PMs), and I apologize, but basically this for me. Most of my favorite stories of any medium are very character-driven. If I'm invested in the character, I'm generally invested in their stakes, no matter how big or small they are.

I think that's what you're getting at with reader stakes. Granted, it's a balancing act, but if I'm watching a movie or reading a book where the fate of the whole universe is at hand, but the characters a meh, I'm not likely to pay attention or bother finishing the story. On the other hand, one of my favorite series has to do exactly with the fate of the whole universe, a notably cheesy trope (that the book is aware of), but the characters are so enjoyable and relatable that my reader stakes are higher, even if the story is one I've heard before. (That also has a lot to do with how much I'll re-read/watch something -- if I like the characters I'll read/watch multiple times no matter how well I know the story/ending.)

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19