View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2024, 07:38 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The Frost Giant of Morh does not "attack" during its opponent's turn.

I don't think you're adding to the theme with that part of the power. I'd drop it before I'd turn it into 5 (or whatever) lines of text like Dying Swipe.
I shall take your advice. Thank you, as always. It's been a roundabout evolution, but I think (again!?) that this will be the final version.

CAPTAIN XUE
General: Vydar
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Tricky, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 5, Range 7, Attack 3, Defense 3

CAPTAIN XUE’S PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled. When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S SPIRIT
When a figure you control that is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

125 Points

P.S.: From ThrasherDarkrai:

"Mechanically, the figure looks basically fine to me at first glance.
Formatting-wise, though, I think you should strike the last line from Captain Xue's Pistols and give her Double Attack. It's not clear to me why Double Attack is essentially being rolled into Captain Xue's Pistols; it should really be two separate powers.

"Thematically, I think the names of Captain Xue's powers are quite vague; neither really evoke any kind of fantasy to me. What, exactly, is "Captain Xue's Pistols" supposed to convey? Why are her shots occasionally but inconsistently more powerful? Retitling the power to put more emphasis on WHAT the Pistols are - rather than who owns them - would better convey what the power is doing (and by extension, who Captain Xue is). I'd suggest something like "Black Powder Pistols," except that the AoA Pirates already used that for a power name. I'd make a similar comment for Captain's Xue's Spirit, but it's less egregious there since I still get a rough sense as to what the power is trying to accomplish."

No problem doing as he asks with Double Attack. As to naming the powers, as you may have gathered, I've been looking for the right names for some time. Plasma Powder Pistols was the name of Captain Xue's Pistols when it was a special attack. We could go with that. As to Captain's Xue's Spirit, did you thing Captain's Xue's Edge was better? Long ago, we posited Protect the Captain as the name for a power. Could go with Defend the Captain. Maybe something with "Tough" in it? Captain's Courageous? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? How's this for now?

CAPTAIN XUE
General: Vydar
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Tricky, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 5, Range 7, Attack 3, Defense 3

DOUBLE ATTACK
When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

PLASMA POWDER PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled.

CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS
When a figure you control that is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

125 Points

Last edited by kolakoski; January 22nd, 2024 at 10:29 AM.