View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'd like to nominate "Junior" for consideration,

Pathfinder- The Forest Shadow 40 of 45
"Junior"
Ullar
Felyund

Elf
Unique Hero
Archer
Precise
Medium 4

Life: 2
Move: 5
Range: 10
Attack: 2
Defense: 2

Abilities:
Watch This!
If "Junior" is within 3 clear sight spaces of a friendly figure, subtract 5 from his range.

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Balance
When you compare "Junior" to other figures similar to him you will find that 15 is actually a great point value.
1. Guilty: The offensive output between "Junior" and Guilty is about half. Guilty gets two attacks of 2 at 7 range, whereas "Junior" gets one at 10 or even 5 range. Their survivability is the same however.
2. Dead Eye Dan: Only two figures with 10 range, but also share defense and move values. The reason I'm comfortable with "Junior" at 15 compared to DED's 60 is that DED has the ability to completely destroy any figure. That has to be at least worth 30 of his points. Add in the ability to bypass defensive abilities, let's say add another 10-15. Increase his health and there you get about 60.
3. Marcu: This one is tough. Costing lower than Marcu is dangerous, because Marcu really has the ability to hurt you, whereas "Junior" won't kill your own troops. Even with Marcu turning on you, he will beat "Junior" most of the time.
Kyntela Gwyn: This one made me nervous at first. Almost exact stats, but of course "Junior" has +10 range on her and still is a lower cost. Tell me this, when have you ever picked Gwyn over Marcu? Only in an elf wizard build right? That's where her value of 20 is, not anything to do with her stats. (Her stats actually keep her a lower point cost)

Playability
I believe "Junior" is a super simpler figure. His power is very obvious also.
Haven't you always wanted to take DED just to run and gun with? I have. This guy will find the table almost too often because he is so fun to use. His lacks a lot of synergy, but that also will keep his point value down and maybe even keep him off the table every game.

Creativity
I sometimes have trouble coming up with new powers. I tend to stick to reusing most powers. This guy is different. He captures so much theme with one power. The simplicity is what makes this guy creative. With that one power it's like you almost know everything there is to know about this guy. The guy who always fails in the eyes of others, even though he knows he has the ability in him.

Theme
I've been touching on theme in almost every category so far. He fits in current HS, but instead of the "perfect" soldier this guy is almost a loser in the eyes of other elves. (The Bio, I believe, hits a lot of theme.)

Here's another picture for size comparison.
Spoiler Alert!

Accessibility The figure is a Pathfinder mini so there has to be plenty of them. I haven't looked to deep into this. (Sorry in advance) I think I paid around 5 bucks for him which isn't steep at all.

Thanks for your time. I hope you can feel the theme of Junior. He's found a place in my heart already.