View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Video Game are you Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
It looks interesting, but I don't have a good idea what is involved from the trailer, as it is purely a cinematic. What do you actually do in it. And do you need to poor hours into it to enjoy? As I just don't have that sort of time now.
You kind of need to. It all depends on how steep the learning curve is for you. Some people will just kind of take to it naturally and it will be fun, but if you have a really hard time understanding the flow of the game then it'll be rough until you get the hang of it.

But what's really nice is that they have matchmaking system exactly like halo - basically, the more you play, the higher your level is, but the matchmaking system only matches you with people your level. So, if you've only played like ten matches, you'll be playing with people who have only played like 5-15 matches. So, you don't have to worry about getting stampted into the dust by people who have been playing for two years (this game has a huge skill gap)

But anyways, as for what's involved, it's a weird combination of a RTS and an RPG. You play as a Champion; there are 5 champions per team, and there are two teams. Ultimately, the goal of the game is to destroy this structure at the enemy base called the "nexus." Once you destroy that, you win. But the enemy team is trying to get into your base and kill your nexus at the same time. As long as the enemies are alive, they're not going to let you kill their nexus, so you have to kill them if you want to win. But they respawn after a minute.

There are also these towers, and they do a lot of damage early in the game, so you can't just run at their Nexus and kill it - you have to kill the towers first, which are placed around the map and right in front of the nexus.

Currently there are 81 champions in the game, and a new one is released every two weeks or so. Each champion has 5 unique abilities, so all of the champions have a different playstyle. When you're first starting out, a lot of the champions won't feel right. Like, I tried out four or five champions before I found one I really understood and felt comfortable with.

Games usually last 30 minutes to like 50 minutes. Every so often one will go over an hour, but that's rare. You can generally count on the match taking like 45 minutes. They do have a 3v3 mode where games usually last under a half hour, though. And they are releasing a new game mode in a few weeks that they say takes around 20 minutes. So, the games don't have to last too too long, but in my opinion the nail-biter hour-long 5v5 games are the most fun.

Like I said, the game isn't for everyone. The learning curve is pretty steep and you kind of have to be persistent, but usually after a few games you get the feel of it.