View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:42 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
I'm not really gamer myself and will definitely admit that Heroscape is by far the game of choice whenever I get a chance to play anything. I'm really more of a card player who will dabble in poker, black jack, pinnacle or hearts (its been a while) and sometimes play games with my extended family such as The Great Dahlmuti or Sequence.

As for Board Games, a year or two ago Santa picked up Scotland Yard since it was a great game I enjoyed a few times in my youth. Other than that, a rare silly game of Hulk Smash or Loopin Louie gets played around here.

Recently though, I was lucky enough to find a base set of Dice Masters Avengers vs X-men. We've only played two games thus far and it is fun in the fact that it is superhero themed with very little set up. I don't know yet if it is going to get traction because my kids seem more interested in the collectible aspect rather than playing and I don't want to get suckered into useless expenses.

My question however, is with regard to a few other games I decided to "request" from Santa for this year. If I know him as well as I think I do, he'll be bringing the boys Marvel Legendary and King of Tokyo. He is not planning on bringing any of the expansions for either at this time because I'd like to see if either takes hold.

So knowing that we are not real gamers, but absolutely love some Heroscape and all things superheroes... do you think Santa is going to be thanked for those two choices or do you think I have two future dust collectors in shiny wrapping paper? I know they are rated very well but so are games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Cataan and I don't see any of us actually choosing to play one of those games.
Santa will be thanked. KoT will probably be the bigger hit though & is probably worth getting the Power Up expansion in short order after Christmas as provides evolution abilities that make each monster different & can add to the decisions of the rolls. Legendary is a great game but I struggle to get my kids to want to play it. Set-up is a bit tedious (but I have gotten that down now) as is packing up (make sure when you KO cards you put them in card piles - this saves a lot of time in packing up & setting up next time). But the biggest thing about Legendary (as I believe I said before in this thread) is that the theme doesn't quite fit the gameplay. The premise is fine but it doesn't really match the mechanics of the game, but that is not to say the mechanics aren't good. The mechanics are great & it is a great game.