View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: HoME Playtesting Thread

There are 3 proposed versions of Gandalf. I'd like to consider the pros and cons of each version:

1) Original Version at 150 points

Pros
This is what we playtested.

Cons
Gandalf doesn't have as much firepower against squads.
Little board control (heroes want to stay clumped together).

2) Stronger Version
+1 Attack for Blazing Strike (4 Attack)
Heroes moving after Gandalf uses Blazing Strike do not have to end up adjacent to him.

Pros
More firepower versus squads.
Fear factor because of his Blazing Strike potential.
More board control (since heroes can scatter after Blazing Strike).

Cons
Higher cost means less support for Gandalf.

3) Lower Points Version
-1 to Life (Life 6)
Move 4 heroes at the end of your turn instead of 3.
Heroes moving at the end of your turn must end up within 3 spaces of Gandalf.

Pros
Moving more heroes allows you to keep support figures nearby.
More board control than the original version.

Cons
Gandalf doesn't have as much firepower against squads.
Less board control. Heroes want to stay close together.

Please feel free to add to these pros and cons. I just wanted to get the ball rolling and stimulate ideas.

Notice that the proposed ideas are really not that different from each other. In fact, in many games, the differences probably wouldn't have affected Gandalf's play. For example, increasing Blazing Strike to 4 didn't help much in at least one of my playtests because Gandalf's main role was to move the army forward as a unit. Once they got into place, the other heroes did all of the attacking. Of course, there will still be games where the small changes will tip the outcome.