View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2021, 12:21 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: New Heroscape Terrain "Quick-Sand" - Collaborate rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Cool this moved to AotV project. Others can comment an test any idea but AotV members will be approving and moving to each stage.

One thing to note is that when on maps with Crytoliths, the Quicksand will be right next to Crytoliths unless we cover them up. I was thinking, similar to maps with Tundra terrain, map-makers will specify if Quicksand rules are in place or not, but we should have standard rules for all maps if rules are "on". Also, if the terrain is only a "negative" power then maps need to be designed with them in chokepoints or on height, but unlike Heavy Snow and Slippery Ice, there are not a lot of hexes to go around to do that. Maybe somehow make the terrain have both a boon and bane. I agree with @NecroBlade to keep it simple and my last suggestion was too complicated. Maybe:

Quote:
Figures without a power with water on it starting their move on quick-sand spaces subtract 3 from their move. You may count quick-sand as sand or water for special powers of any figure.
Wording needs to be better but you get the idea. I think will help Durnipia and any other figure with water power.
I think that in general, any terrain rules need to be very simple and immediately tied to the core associations with that terrain. Lava destroys, solid hot ground hurts, water slows the figure, road is faster, et cetera. To that end, my favorite idea for "quicksand" remains my original suggestion:
When a figure ends its move on a quicksand space, roll the 20-sided die. Add that figure's height to your roll. If you roll a 1-11, then that figure receives one wound.
That all said, it looks like the brainstorming in this thread was more of from the perspective of mixing the few hexes with an existing HS Master Set collection than from the standalone perspective of AotV designs. I'm hesitant to tie many rules into what will realistically be some players' only option for height differentiation. Designing terrain rules for Arena of the Planeswalkers content as a standalone product is very different from designing a new limited HeroScape terrain pack, and we have to keep that in mind.

I still don't like the idea of quicksand for AotV for several reasons. The most apparent one is probably that the 3D hexes in our boxes aren't flat tiles like water, ice, or shadow--they resemble sandstone more than quicksand, IMO. We also don't have enough of those hexes to really justify flipping it so that the cardboard hexes are slow or dangerous, either: even combining all three boxes, it's often tough to build more than one decent hill.