View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
The tower came from an old Weapons and Warriors game set. In it one side had a castle wall with a few half towers. I took the two towers that were copies of one another and placed them back to back to form one full tower. Before I did this though I had to seal up all the parts that had been designed to break for the game. I trimmed a few parts to make tighter fits, then superglued them into place. Then I once again used contour putty to fill in all the cracks. I cut out two pieces of cardboard (from a standard box) to fit inside the tower walls, overlapping where the two towers would be joined together. I glued one to each tower, let them dry and then joined the to halves together (adding glue once more). This gave me one solid tower.

The two original tower fronts were already detailed but the sides were flat and had no details as that was where they were suppose to join up with the castle wall. So I had to create the details for two sides from scratch.

I made some small 'bricks' using thin white board and glued them into place along the top. I then designed and made the wood door on one side and made a trap door for the top as well. I just cut out an index card to fit in the area I wanted to cover up. Then glued some wooden stir sticks (used for coffee, I grabbed a ton for free at a FF resturant) to the index card and trimmed them to size. I made a door handle using the same wooden stir sticks (a few small pieces as spacers). I painted and set aside for later.

The Jandar wall I made using the same technique but used tounge depressers instead of the stir sticks. To make the Jandar symbol I measured the dimentions of the outer hex off of one of the cards and multipled those numbers by 4. Then I used the resulting dimentiones to mark off and draw the hex using a pencil. I practiced this on a piece of paper first to make sure it would be the size I wanted. Then I measured off a few key spots of the design and marked their locations on the large Hex to use as reference points. Then I just scetched out the design free hand while looking at the real design, using the reference points to keep everything in perspective. Once I was satisfied I could pull it off I repeated the process on the wooded wall I had made. Then painted it free hand using white paint. Once the symbol was dry I painted around it with the blue.

I spray painted the tower black. Then I painted the tower grey and the stones at the base a different shade of grey. I dry brushed a couple of different shades of grey and off whites on to each, careful to use different combos for the tower and the stones. There was already a vine design on the tower so I first painted those green but I was unhappy with how it looked. After seeing someones' (I forget who) work on here where they had used flock to create wall moss/vines, I decided to try the same thing with the grass I had and it worked out great. So I added a some more vines to the custom brinks I had made above the door and wall piece to tie the whole thing together. I then added the custom doors and Wall hanging to complete the tower.

The fist pic is a bit fuzzy but the other two turned out good.

Last edited by Yodaking; December 17th, 2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: relinking pics