View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM

TexMex Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Their greatest downfall is often the lack of good lava maps out there. The harsh truth is that lava is simply unpopular, and people have VERY little experience designing maps with it. A few things to keep in mind when using lava:

- People won't use lava if they can avoid it. Offset lava with some benefits to make it popular. Making it the highground often works as does making it a glyph region. Whatever you do, don't put a nice bridge over the lava. It's faster and higher and quickly becomes the only worthwhile path.

- Lava regions need LOS blockers too. People often forget this because glaciers and trees don't fit with it well, but without some ruins its too easy to use range and simply ignore the terrain.

- Molten lava doesn't need to be on the low ground. Making it even or higher makes it just as impassible as before, but allows the Obsidians to utilize it more effectively. An attack of 5 is a pretty terrifiying after all.
Thanks for the advice, Eclipse! I love using the lava terrain and always try to find a way to work it into my maps. I mean, why would you not try and use the assets given us? Plus, I really like the Obsidian Guards

The Daily Pugle
Albuquerque, NM-NHSD Tourney 2008 Results:
TexMex: 2nd Place
Mrs. TexMex: 8th Place--Out of 10
PS I lost every battle in my first tourney