View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2020, 02:42 PM

Jamminguitar Woo who?
Re: HeroQuest Revival?

I have yet to try out the online companion for Descent, but about a year ago I tried out the new Lord of the Rings board game by Fantasy Flight, Journeys in Middle Earth. It basically is an exploration RPG with an app controlling the game, similar to Descent. The idea was neat while playing, but my group found it difficult to properly display the screen of the game for all players to see well. Also, having to place each token on the map step by step as the app loaded new locations, alongside inputting each roll, took a lot of time and made everyone pretty bored while playing. We've yet to have anyone want to play again yet as far as I know. I think that if they are creating a version of Heroquest with a clear area to sit the phone or tablet so everyone can see, similarly to how a DM's location is defined in D&D, and the app actually takes little precedence over the course of the game, then the game could hopefully still turn out to be almost as much fun as the original. Although, I would hope that there might be an option for a GM to take over in the case that a group does not want to bother with an app.
Are there any other ideas of how this app might be implemented? I really do not have a lot of experience with HeroQuest so I do not know how much better or worse it would be to turn it into an app over a game like Descent or Journeys in Middle Earth.