Thread: Diplomacy
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Diplomacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I always like to ask, @Dad_Scaper , did you have any questions or thoughts on the game as a whole you'd be willing to share?

Did you real ALL the press, I know in our previous 3 games you have read and sometimes you did not.
I spot read it, to get a sense of how different players are approaching the game, and where I should be looking for fireworks.

Like I said, this was a fun one to watch, because I think everyone (in his own way) was playing to win.

I thought @Knight of Scape , as Austria wrote some very fine, instructive press to EF near the end of the game. I'll comment on that.

KoS explained to EF in group press that he would throw to France, if EF tried to squeeze him out of a draw. It was a strong pitch on three levels, and I'll write about each.

First, he sent it as a group text. That way, both England and France see the threat, and England (who this was essentially directed at) is on notice that France knows what he has to gain by a move against Austria. It's quite clear, following this threat, that Austria is not telling each that he'll throw to the other, because he's said precisely what he's going to do. Making it clear that he's serious.

Second, he picked the right guy. We've since learned that KD didn't think that he, as France, had the tactics available for the solo, but I think, based on how they'd played, he was right that KD was the more likely of the two to seek and to execute a stab for the solo.

Third, I loved how he framed his plea: Sure, France has deceived me a few times, but France has also been a partner in a communication - playing the game - in a way that you were not. My sense was that this came from a place of real sincerity, which is (IMHO) the best way to play.

It's good to be sincere. For most players, actual lies are quite rare. A player isn't constantly choosing between telling the truth and telling a lie. What an experienced player is normally doing is just figuring out which spin the truth should get.

I am really amazed that this was KoS's first game of Diplomacy. Normally, when Austria suffers getting dotted early by Italy, it's a quick doom for both, and not only did he survive, but he made a fine showing of almost squeaking in as the third part of a 3-way draw. With a different set of players - let's say, an EF who don't quite trust each other enough to walk all the way up to the 2WD line - he would have had it.

Like I said, everyone played well. But you asked, KD, what stuck out to me, and it was that AEF press near the end.

Good game, all.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =