View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM

bumper15 is surprisingly tart
Re: The Wind in the Trees

Sorry I didn't post when I said I would, but Homecoming was last week and I had completely forgotten. Anyway here is the next part.

Prologue Pt.II

Slink glanced up from his thoughts when he heard the canvas flaps on the tent being parted. From outside a boy walked in no older than sixteen. His dress was of an unknown style and was different shades of green and brown. Slink watched as the boy strolled in, an air of command about him, as if it was his command tent he was walking into. This was no doubt the leader of the Wood Sprites, but he was only a boy!
“Greetingsss. I am honored that you have finally decided to join usss,” Slink began with mock courtesy.
“I am pleased as well to finally get this meeting underway,” Orin replied casually, ignoring the sarcasm. “I believe we are here to discuss the terms of your surrender, am I correct?”
Already Slink disliked the boy's attitude, but he needed to keep in control. “The people of my tribe have more important matterssss to attend to,” he hissed, “And I would like to ssssave both our people unnecesssary bloodshed.”
“If I am not mistaken, your kind has been the only one to bleed in this fight Snake," Slink hissed angrily at the statement, "but I concede your point. We also have someplace else where we must focus our attention,” Orin stated, keeping his face as blank as possible while studying his opponent. He could already tell that Slink was no fool. Orin sighed and prepared himself for the negotiations.

He watched as soldiers moved silently through the woods. He took a deep breath, taking in everything he hadn’t seen for close to five-hundered years.“It has been too long,” he sighed, “It is good to be back!”
He turned behind him as his seemingly endless hordes crawled through the trees of the only true opposition to his power. The Woods of Balon were the source of all life in Alarya and were going to be his launching point.
One of his captains approached from the front of the lines, “There is nothing here sir, we can’t seem to find it.”
“Keep searching!” he roared, “They won’t be able to put up a fight if their beloved tree is destroyed!” The captain saluted and hastened away. The Wood Sprites ruined his chances of conquering the world many years ago, but they would not stop him this time. He will have his kingdom.
He turned and bellowed orders to the thousands of soldiers he had under his command, he had a tree to find.

“I cannot have you Snakes running through my forest!” Orin stated softly but powerfully.
“The Naga do asss they pleasssse!” Slink hissed just as powerfully with an slight edge added to his voice, “You have no right over what we may or may not do! My tribe has done no harm to your people.”
A wolf howled in the distance, a long mournful sound, the negotiations had been going on for six hours and night was falling.
“This misunderstanding was caused because your people entered land that has been off limits to any nation for the past thousand years. It is not just about your tribe, but your race. We always try to avoid bloodshed, and I know that you have a more level head than the rest of the Snakes, but I can't risk more harm being done. I agree that what happened to the two Snakes was regrettable and, believe me, the one who caused it has been punished for it, but in your best interests, take my advice and never enter my woods again.”
Slink rested his hands on the table, the long meeting starting to wear at him. Suddenly he jumped back with a start as an arrow embedded itself on the table between the fingers of his left hand. “What is the meaning of this attempt on my life?" Slink hissed, “You will soon regr...” the words died on his throat when he saw the look on the Sprite’s face, Orin wasn't preparing himself to defend his life from the Naga, his eyes were focused only on the arrow in fear. He realized that the arrow wasn't meant for him, it had been meant for the boy.
Orin could not believe what his eyes saw right in front of him. He ignored the Naga’s shouting, so absorbed by the arrow. He remembered the wolf's howl. He realized now that it had been Streak trying to warn him for something.
He had ignored the first warning, but the second couldn't be avoided. The message was right in front of him. The arrow still sat embedded at the table in front of Slink, but the worst part was that the arrrow's feathers were black.

Last edited by bumper15; February 20th, 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Make Slink seem more patient