Thread: Diplomacy
View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2020, 12:48 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Diplomacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post

@Ranior curious to your opinion here.
I had peaked at the game multiple times and it was hard to say. I likely would have gone for the solo in France's shoes and probably been happy to take the draw in Englands, but it also would have depended a lot on the diplomacy at the end of the game and if/who I thought would be willing to help throw the solo either way. Still I generally go for a solo if I think I have any shot of it, unless I'm quite sure that I'll lose to someone else's solo and then take the draw. Mostly though I feel I am settling for a draw.

Listening to scorp and kd, it does seem the two of them are a bit closer to the end of the spectrum where they see this as a shared and joint win (which it is) versus having to settle for a sub par result because they couldn't quite get the win. Ultimately that is fine though--not everyone is as solo hungry and that is part of the nature of the game as well. (Although it is why I prefer tournament scoring systems like C-diplo which I think gives very appropriate weighting to solos versus draws)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Yeah, I would definitely have tried, but I thought the opposite of you guys. But maybe I was too close and looking at the worst case scenarios. I thought I could gain an advantage through the black Sea but it would take me two full years to see it through

Meanwhile fleet builds at London and Liverpool would guarantee England MAO in 1912. And from there I wouldn't have fleet defenses in place to protect WES and therefore TUN and the Italian Coast. I maybe could have taken SEV in that time, but not if he blocked me at ARM and Denmark made it to MOS. Then I would have to count on taking BUL before I lost Tunisia and I thought that wouldn't happen.
Towards the very end this may be true. Truthfully in the abstract I tend not to love allying with England as France precisely because England's naval advantage usually spells trouble for trying to get the upper hand in the end game, and with the fact there is no good stalemate line for that duo, I'm always a bit nervous if I think I'm working with a competent England as France.

My personal feeling is that if you were a bit more focused during the lead up to the end on securing the solo you may have found a way to position things to achieve it...but I get how it is a gamble, especially if you weren't sure how the other powers in the game would react. If you felt that the remaining players might aid England to a solo instead of helping you, I get your play...but if you thought you had the diplomatic edge I probably would have pushed it and seen if I could get the solo.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX