View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: How will C3V units affect the Metagame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Sound like the timed rules of Chess would somewhat alleviate this. If the game is set to take up to 60 minutes, each player is allotted 30 minutes. You hit pause on your timer when your turn is done, and that starts your opponent's timer. So no one waits forever to time anything out. The problem here would be rolling dice. You have to wait for your opponent to roll their defense dice, or D20s, and that is the loophole to wasting your opponent's turn. The solution would be to hit the timer after you roll your dice, so they are wasting their own time when they roll their own.
That was suggested above, as well.

A chess timer is not well-suited to Heroscape. A move in chess is very simple. Maneuver a (comparatively) large piece, or possibly two, on a stable, flat surface, and push the button indicating your turn is over. That does not translate well to Heroscape, where the length of the turn is affected by the number of pieces - both yours and your opponent's - being manipulated, and by any number of dice - both yours and your opponent's, rolled at the speed your opponent wishes - being rolled. And the board itself, the the things upon it, are also affecting how long a turn takes. It does not translate well.
Also, it's an asymmetrical game. One person may have a tougher army to play with more decision making than the other; to say that both people should take an equal amount of time in that game is a bit ridiculous.

In my Top 8 loss to @dok in 2018, I had 2x Phantom Knights, Concan, 2x Warriors of Ashra, Jorhdawn, Arkmer, Kyntella vs his Tor-Kul-Na, 4x Grubs, Raelin, Sam Brown. By the end of round three, I had used all six units at least once, whereas Adam had only placed order markers on two cards (Grubs and Raelin). Adam said outright, "take your time placing OMs; you have a lot more to think about than me" (obviously regarding the OMs, he had decisions to make on positioning with his units during his turns). Having to manage more units was compounded by the fact that I started the game down due to the matchup, so naturally I needed more time than him over the course of the game.