View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Battleplan: A Heroscape Army Builder

Well, this was timely ... I was just looking for something to help me double-check my math for some armies I'm building for a SoCal gameday tomorrow, and lamenting the fact that HS Manager hasn't been updated in a while. And here is a worthy alternative!

So first let me say, good job. There's a lot here that I will be able to use for any number of things I've been contemplating, and it's super-convenient. Also very slick; I particularly love how hovering over a unit name brings up a tooltip with all the crucial info displayed right there. And the filtering stuff is top-notch, just as HS Manager's was.

Now for the bug reports.
  • Sonya Esenwein's specials don't include Flying.
  • Heavy Gruts only add 3 spaces to your hex count, but the squad contains 4 figures.

That's all I've noticed so far, and that's a pretty skimpy buglist for a first release, so congrats on that.

Suggestions:
  • When you say you have collections "in the works", I hope that means that you will be able to put in what figures you have, and how many of each common squad, so that you don't accidentally end up building an army you can't actually field. Obviously this would be important to save to the user's hard disk somehow.
  • Pretty much anything that HS Manager can do, I think this should be able to do too. I can't think of anything that HS Manager did that wasn't necessary, so I hope you will be mining its interface for good ideas. In particular, being able to name and save your armies, and also being able to specify customs (even if only at a very simple level) are pretty important, I would think.

I'm also curious to hear the answer to Gary's question. I don't believe he was asking so much about what editor you folks are using as much as what the language/framework is. It doesn't appear to be Flash, nor PHP, nor ASP. I think you'll find that the more you open up your development efforts, the more help you can get from those of us with coding talents.

Again, fantastic first effort and keep up the good work!

Last edited by Xotli; February 1st, 2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: clarification