View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla-nominations and discussion

I haven't looked at robdaman's nomination yet but here are my thoughts on krysto's...

Asmodeus
Adder's Venom is certainly a thematic ability and it belongs, however, I think too much is packed into it which makes it overkill (probably literally for the poisoned figure). Rolling an attack die for each venom marker makes perfect sense but tossing in rolling an attack die for each wound marker plus the penalties to base stats gets to be too much for a 50 point figure.
I have to vote NO to review.

Blood Raptor
Again, very thematic abilities. However (it seems I like that word), being able to get a not unlikely 3 attacks of 6 per OM for only 90 points seems underpriced.
I have to vote NO to review.

Einar's Centurions
I know this first point will seem nit-picky but bear with me. Centurions were officers in charge of their own "squads" of 80-100 men. They weren't their own squads. Also, the abilities are not thematic for Centurions. It isn't that Centurions were elite, they were the leaders of the common soldier, inspiring them in battle by being in the thick of battle. This squad, for me doesn't capture the essence of what centurions were. It also would give us a HS historical unit whose name is a historically inaccurate portrayal of the unit. A common hero called Roman centurion would be better.
I also see Elite Shield Wall combined with Einar's Finest as too much, not to mention that they bond as well.
I vote NO to review

Gordyyr
Reflective Scales is a fitting ability, however, having it benefit adjacent figures is a little much. It renders common range units ineffective. Who wants to risk firing on multiple figures with ranged counterstrike with a 1 life ranged unit? This wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for Scintillating Fires. While an opponent's common melee are advancing, since his common range are pratically rendered useless, Scintillating Fires will wreak havoc on them.
ordyyr has too much going for him, especially for 145 points.
I vote NO to review

Swarm Gruts
I am not as sure about this unit. I am a little confused with Swarm Tactics. It seems like an almost needless ability. I would rather have 10 figures from which to choose with each OM I reveal than have 5 waiting on the sidelines. However (there is that word again), that is just a personal preference. So, I am going to think over the Swarm Gruts some more before giving my vote.

You have some neat ideas, krysto. The above units show creativity and a nice ability to give thematic flavor to units. Keep pluggin' along.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Hmmm... I think that removes all of krsto's nominations, so I'll hold off until told otherwise.
Arghhh... ninja'd in the worst way! All of that typing for nothing.

Last edited by Lamaclown; November 16th, 2010 at 08:01 AM.