View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:21 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
This is the first thread over two pages long that I have read in its entirety. Thank you for not only designing a game that so fantastically captures imagination and brings out the inner child in us, Craig, but also even half a decade later taking the time to come and be a part of the community that you made possible.
Thank you for the kind words. I can't take all the credit. I have said this before, but the Heroscape team is responsible, everybody who worked on it. Stephen Baker designed the terrain, which, early on, IMO really caused Heroscape to take off.

Heroscapers is a great community with so many creative and talented people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
While I have my doubts as to the ease of reacquiring the HeroScape license (let alone the patents for things like the brilliant terrain) or efficiently making a profit now that Arena of the Planeswalkers has proven that corners can be cut and people will still buy it (I doubt Hasbro is keen on going back to the expansive terrain fields and painted minis, or even letting someone else compete with their new product), the simple fact that you want to do it is reassuring and inspires a glimmer of hope. I wish you the best of luck in getting Soaring Rhino off the ground so that you can eventually build up the resources to accomplish this. How are things looking for the company now? I saw that the Kickstarter failed, but it seems that production has continued nonetheless and expansions are under development?
I am a person who believes things happen for a reason. Yes, we cancelled our first KS because we knew we were not going to hit our number. We think that this was a good thing. We listened and we learned.

We created a new cover that tells more of the story of the Shifting Realms.
We created all new art for the too green gameboards.
We created new card art.
We changed from normal meeples to cool custom meeples.
We created new graphics.
This go around we are reaching out to online reviewers.

We will be launching our new and improved Shifting Realms KS sometime in October 2017.

Jeff and I are really excited about the game we have now, and to be honest, if we hit our first KS, I don't think the game would have changed.

Our website is up- soaringrhino.com
We announced the names of additional titles for 2018.

You can see pictures of the new Shifting Realms art here-
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ings?comment=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
Also, was there ever an end to the war planned as some form of closure (even if it was just for Sergeant Drake getting home), or was it envisioned as an endless story? After finding the journals and other bits of lore from Valhalla, I have to say that it's gotten me hooked, and I bemoan the little content available for Aquilla and Valkrill.
Drake and his crew were driving the story, especially after swarm of the marro came out. Colby wrote most of the journals and I wrote the early ones, which were... not that good. I always looked forward to getting a batch of journals from Colby.

At one point, we talked about sending Drake back home to earth to make way for a new group of heroes.