View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
TAF's Custom RETURN OF THE KING - UNDEAD ARMY & CIRITH UNGOL

I'm glad you approve, Splash. The more feral monsters were a lot of fun to design

THE RETURN OF THE KING
4/5 - Paths of the Dead & Cirith Ungol - 4/5

"'The Sun may shine here,' said Gimli, 'but there are memories of that road that I do not wish to recall out of the darkness. Had I known what was before me, I think that not for any friendship would I have taken the Paths of the Dead.'

'The Paths of the Dead?' said Pippin. 'I heard Aragorn say that and I wondered what he could mean. Won't you tell us some more?'

'Not willingly,' said Gimli. 'For upon that road I was put to shame: Gimli Gloin's son, who had deemed himself more tough than Men, and hardier under earth than any Elf. But neither did I prove; and I was held to the road only by the will of Aragorn.'" -Return of the King

"Sauron will not have forgotten the Sword of Elendil... The blade that was broken shall return to Minas Tirith."

"The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be. Take the Dimholt road." -Return of the King

Andúril, Flame of the West gives Aragorn a boost to his offense and defense, making him far more dangerous than before. It also makes him a King, as legendary swords are oft to do. With it he leads the army of the dead, the grey company, and fresh Gondor reinforcements into the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. We will give Aragorn Andúril here instead of at Rivendell like in the books, since that seems too early for the sake of the sword as a power-up.

"'For my part I heeded them not,' said Gimli, 'for we came then at last upon battle in earnest. There at Pelargir lay the main fleet of Umbar, fifty great ships and smaller vessels beyond count. Many of those that we pursued had reached the havens before us, and brought their fear with them; and some of the ships had put off, seeking to escape down the River or to reach the far shore; and many of the smaller craft were ablaze. But the Haradrim, being now driven to the brink, turned at bay, and they were fierce in despair; and they laughed when they looked on us, for they were a great army still.

'But Aragorn halted and cried with a great voice: "Now come! By the Black Stone I call you!" And suddenly the Shadow Host that had hung back at the last came up like a grey tide, sweeping all away before it. Faint cries I heard, and dim horns blowing, and a murmur as of countless far voices: it was like the echo of some forgotten battle in the Dark Years long ago. Pale swords were drawn; but I know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them.'" -Return of the King

Dead Men of Dunharrow are dreadfully powerful for their cost, being a fast four-man squad of 4/4s. With Horde Movement, they can easily overwhelm their foes. However, they can only operate should your entire army feature their kind (should the three hunters have to fight their way through the paths of the dead), or if Aragorn has the reforged Andúril. Being isolated and secretive, Xenothea seemed the right choice of General.

The King of the Dead brings with him a vast aura of despair for his enemies. With Dreadful Aura, all foes within his range lose Defense and Disengage if they have it. Combined with the undead's Horde Movement, it can turn any battle into a rout even for more normally slippery foes.

"He listened; and as he did a gleam of hope came to him. There could not be much doubt: there was fighting in the tower, the orcs must be at war among themselves, Shagrat and Gorbag had come to blows." -Return of the King

Meanwhile Samwise the Brave must fight his way through Cirith Ungol while the two captains' forces duke it out. Shagrat's Mordor Uruk-Hai carry both Uruk Ferocity and Shrug Off, turning them into 4/4s quite easily. They are fewer in number but stronger than Gorbag's Mordor Orcs.

"'I'm not going down those stairs again,' growled Snaga, 'be you captain or no. Nar! Keep your hands off your knife, or I'll put an arrow in your guts. You won't be a captain long when they hear about all these goings-on. I've fought for the Tower against those stinking Morgul-rats, but a nice mess you two precious captains have made of things, fighting over the swag.'

'That's enough from you,' snarled Shagrat. 'I had my orders. It was Gorbag started it, trying to pinch that pretty shirt.'" -Return of the King

Shagrat and Gorbag are the two captains of Cirith Ungol. Shagrat is stronger, especially so against foes carrying trinkets with That's Mine!, but Gorbag is more slippery with his Quick Stab Special Attack. Both bolster their respective breed of Orc.

For a special scenario for Cirith Ungol, I'd recommend having Sam's player choose either Gorbag's Orcs or Shagrat's Uruk-Hai. Those respective units join Sam's army for the battle for the Tower, taking the Hobbit's Point Value into consideration.

As always let me know what you think.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by TheAverageFan; May 26th, 2021 at 01:23 PM.