View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:25 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Well met!

Commenting internally in purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

General Utgar

Unique Hero
Species Undead
Class Warrior
Personality Terrifying

Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 3

Points 120

LIFE DRAIN
Each time Demetria destroys a figure, you may remove a wound from this Army Card. Demetria cannot Life Drain destructible objects.

SONIC SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 3, Attack 3
Choose a figure to attack. You may also choose one other figure adjacent to the targeted figure to be affected by Sonic Sword Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for both figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

ENSLAVE 17
When revealing an order marker on Demetria, after taking Demetria's turn, you may choose any Unique Hero figure within 4 spaces of Demetria. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, take temporary control of the chosen Hero and immediately take a turn with that Hero. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen Hero returns to its previous owner. All order markers that were on the figure's Army Card will stay on the Army Card.
I don't really have a problem with Demetria being an Undead. It's a very vague classification anyway, and I'm perfectly fine with seeing her as a Succubus rather than Vampire even if she has Life Drain. Perhaps a class change to Succubus would better convey that theme, but I can live with it either way.

So can I. In an earlier draft, I had her Species as Succubus, and

SUCCUBUS
When a figure adjacent to [Demetria] is destroyed, remove one wound marker from [Demetria]’s card.

Sonic Sword Special Attack doesn't feel like a vital part of the design to me. She's already powerful with Enslave and a solid attack Life Drain, so adding a multi-targeting Special Attack on top of that feels somewhat excessive to me. VC in general has a lot of multi-attackers with Special Attacks at the 120 point range, so perhaps it's a bit of fatigue in that area as well.

Demetria's sword implies a special attack to me. If only a single target is permitted, I'm inclined to go with one of the following:

SONIC SWORD
Choose an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Demetria. Roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 13 or higher, that figure receives a wound.

SONIC SWORD
Range 4, Attack 3
Choose an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Demetria to attack with Sonic Sword.The chosen figure rolls 2 fewer defense dice.

Speaking of Class, I'm thinking, in tandem with Rania and with only a single attack, of making her a Warlord, in which case I'd shorten the range of her Special Attack to 1.

Quote:
General Ullar

Unique Hero
Species Elf
Class Warlord
Personality Valiant

Size Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Points 120

FASCES SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1, Attack 3
When Rania attacks with
Fasces Special Attack, add an additional Attack die for each friendly figure within 2 clear sight spaces of her, to a maximum of +3 Attack dice.

ULLAR'S LIGHT
After Rania wounds an opponent's figure with a normal or special attack, you may move 3 squad figures you control who follow Ullar up to 3 spaces each.
Why is Fasces a Special Attack? It feels better to match Sir Dupuis' Knight's Courage here. We do have Special Attacks adding attack dice for nearby figures as well (notably with the Elven Wizards), but those are typically more magical in nature. I'm not sure what the intended theme is with the name Fasces, but it feels closer to Sir Dupuis being bolstered by his troops thematically to me.

Although originally presented as a leadership power, this Special is actually a dependent power. Rania's sword implies a Special Attack to me also. I'm really tempted to copy Demetria's:

ULLAR'S LIGHT
Range 1, Attack 3
Choose an opponent's figure to attack with Ullar's Light. The chosen figure rolls 2 fewer defense dice.

or, preferably, to go with this one:

ULLAR'S LIGHT
Range 1, Attack 3
Choose an opponent's figure to attack with Ullar's Light. Rania may re-roll all attack dice that did not show skulls.

Then I'd re-name the movement Special:

ULLAR'S BATTLE CRY
After Rania wounds an opponent's figure with a normal or special attack, you may move 3 squad figures you control who follow Ullar up to 3 spaces each.

I think that the suggestion to limit the attack boost to only Ullar figures has been made since this post, but I'd support that restriction as well. Any kind of a power boost like that is significantly more powerful with the cheap (and plentiful) Romans than it will be with the Armoc Vipers or any other existing Ullar units.

Made moot. We'd now have:

DEMETRIA REYJYRE

General Utgar

Unique Hero
Species Undead
Class Warlord
Personality Terrifying

Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 3

Points 120

LIFE DRAIN
Each time Demetria destroys a figure, you may remove a wound from this Army Card. Demetria cannot Life Drain destructible objects.

SONIC SWORD
Range 1, Attack 3
Choose an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Demetria to attack with Sonic Sword. The chosen figure rolls 2 fewer defense dice.

ENSLAVE 17
When revealing an order marker on Demetria, after taking Demetria's turn, you may choose any Unique Hero figure within 4 spaces of Demetria. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, take temporary control of the chosen Hero and immediately take a turn with that Hero. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen Hero returns to its previous owner. All order markers that were on the figure's Army Card will stay on the Army Card.

RANIA REYJYRE

General Ullar

Unique Hero
Species Elf
Class Warlord
Personality Valiant

Size Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Points 120

ULLAR'S LIGHT
Range 1, Attack 3
Choose an opponent's figure to attack with Ullar's Light. Rania may re-roll all attack dice that did not show skulls.

ULLAR'S BATTLE CRY