View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2021, 01:37 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I like the concept here. It pulls off the berserker concept well. There is a big problem, though: Berserker Rage is a no-go. The problem is that it interrupts anything, including another turn, to take a turn. "Turn stacking," as I call it, is a very hazardous slippery slope that we avoid. Take note of units like the Frost Giant, whose Dying Swipe is attack-like, but not an attack because attacks have to be done within a turn and the Frost Giant can't take a turn during another unit's turn. Not to mention, any sort of "turn interruption" power is tricky to get right, and ones that can trigger off of special attacks can be impossible to make work (due to the fact that special attacks, by definition, break the rules of the game).

There are ways to address this. One would be to delay the bonus turn until the current turn is over, but there's a whole can of worms involved with that. Believe me, we tried that recently with a C3V unit, and it was a nightmare.

I would suggest something more like this:

BERSERKER RAGE
If Ulf the Viking Berserker receives enough wounds to be destroyed, Ulf is not removed from the battlefield. For the remainder of that round, add 2 to Ulf's Move and Attack values. At the end of that round, destroy Ulf.