View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM

The_Finder has disabled reputation
I have set up monster zones and NPC type monsters before too. If I have a map with a lava section on it, then a set a Obsidian Guards usually gets placed somewhere in that zone and will attack any figure that goes into the lava. Same thing with snow.

I read a great scenario that was like a solo adventure or a Dungeon Master type game, where the map was broken down into areas that players passed through. Each area had a set a certain creatures that would populate the zone. Some areas had creatures just for pure battle, like Krug hanging out with some Blade Gruts. Some areas had Khosumet and the Wolves hiding behind trees. The would only get placed on the board when a figure moved within 2 or 3 hexes of it. When all of the monsters in a zone were defeated, the entrance to the next zone opened up.

Roads have wandering monster rolls too. After a figure moves, you must roll the 20 sider... 1-10 nothing happens, 11-15 a weak monster is encountered, 16-20 a strong monster force is encountered. Then have 2 separate charts listing which monsters could be rolled for.

I like the wandering monster ideas for this game. Sometimes my games get stale with just rushing to the center of the board and duking it out, this mixes things up a bit.