View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of the Mind Flayer Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
These things are nasty with Ornak.

I played:

Mindflayers x2 200
Ornak 100
Nerak 50
Heavy Gruts x2 140
Isamu 10
500 pts, 14 hexes

Mindflayers on marker 1, then one squad of gruts and nerak, or one squad of gruts and ornak. Made for quite an interesting build.

The Mindflayers on turn one is perfect. Two attacks instead of one, with each attack being either a normal of four or a special of three at three range with the power to knock markers off. I was fighting Aubriens and I could usually get at least one marker, sometimes two down. Throw in two shots at a 17+ enslave, and you can really screw things up. There were two rounds where my opponent was enslaved, lost a hero to hot lava death, and lost the rest of the markers to their special.

Using both of them in one turn with Ornak turns them into a kind of pseudo-squad that can only go on the first turn. That's perfect though, because that's where they can cause the most damage removing marker. With 4 lives and 4 defense, I think they're worth the point investment, as long as Ornak can also be integrated into the army and isn't just there for them. They worked well against squads (who stood a greater chance of losing markers due to lower defense) and heroes (who could be enslaved). Granted, a non-lava map wouldn't be as great, but this is a fun build that does all right as well!
Well met!

dok said somewhere that nobody had made 2 Mindflayers/Ornak work. I guess he was wrong.