View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:49 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
As Evar suggested: Get rid of disengage and add the disengage text to the end of UM.

Change Devour to:
Instead of moving and attacking normally, Ashi-Shulu may Devour. Choose a small or medium common figure on a non-water space within 4 spaces of Ashi-Shulu that is no higher than one level above Ashi-Shulu’s height. Destroy that figure and place Ashi-Shulu on that space. Ashi-Shulu does not taking any leaving engagement attacks when using Devour.
As Mega says, Underground Movement on Earth Elementals does allow leaving engagement attacks. It would be quite confusing if UM read verbatim except that you don't take Leaving Engagement Attacks. There's really no precedent for identically-named powers being different, and when they differ in a somewhat subtle way like that it's even worse.

Given that that's a nonstarter, unless you want either:
  1. Devour to only work when unengaged, a-la Wolves of Badru (huge nerf to the figure),
  2. Complex language on resolving leaving engagement attacks before destroying the figure (not a good road to go down, and also a significant nerf), or
  3. Devour to give disengage when non-devouring UM does not (theme break IMO),
You need him to have Disengage as a standalone power. And really, what's the problem with Disengage as a standalone power?

Also, although this is a minor point, that language above would allow devouring onto a glyph, which the current language does not. Assuming you keep Disengage as a standalone power, if you want equivalence to the current power, you need:
Instead of moving and attacking normally, Ashi-Shulu may Devour. Choose a small or medium common figure on a non-water space that does not contain a glyph within 4 spaces of Ashi-Shulu that is no higher than one level above Ashi-Shulu’s height or three levels below his base. Destroy that figure and place Ashi-Shulu on that space.
... but then you end up with really similar language in the first two powers, which seems weird in its own way. Personally, I like the current language for the reason I suggested it to Mega: i.e. that I only need to read one power. I already know how UM and Disengage work. Each power piggybacks on the ones that follow.

That said, you could probably replace the current "before moving" and "may not attack" wording with the Kumiko/Augamo "instead of moving and attacking normally" line, as you suggest, leaving:
DEVOUR
Instead of moving and attacking normally with Ashi-Dhulu, you may choose a small or medium Common figure on a space where Ashi-Dhulu could end Underground Movement if the figure were not there. Destroy the chosen figure and immediately place Ashi-Dhulu on that space using Underground Movement.
I think I like that more, actually.

Last edited by dok; January 29th, 2014 at 05:14 PM.