View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2018, 01:30 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Index of 3D Printed Stl Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I have a quick question. I'm getting ready to add an Ender 3 to my Christmas wishlist. What type of filament would you recommend for a first timer that is planning on printing some figures and perhaps some terrain?
I like white PLA for miniatures and black PLA for items I don't plan to paint. The white shows off the details better. The black looks better as a finished product.

I've used other colors, but just for specific things. (Green for pine trees, brown for bases, etc...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
White/black/grey are all good base colors for mini painting. As for the different plastics, I'm not familiar enough with both to recommend one over the other but I've seen people in the past say they get better results with one (don't recall which one though) with their printer and paints.
This is my preference as well for stuff being painted. I generally use black for all my painted terrain.
Having received printed pieces from both of you I probably should have known the color's you guys preferred. Material however I had no clue. The only thing I knew of was that I bought some ABS pellets that I melted down with MEK to make a paste to fix my camper.

I have yet to paint either the white figures from WK or the black figures from Trex. Why do each of you feel that your choice is better. Not trying to start a disagreement but I respect both of your works and wanted to understand your opinions.

Mainly the part I have in bold above. Seems like you both say that Black makes a better final product but white's detail is better?

So if I'm a mediocre painter would more detail be better or does the black looking better as a finished product be better to prop up the paint job?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.