View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Ok, time for me to vote on Priscus by Filthy the Clown.

At 110 points Priscus is an important fit into a Gladiator build, as Filthy noted in the nominating post. He's obviously thematic. One thing I struggled with was the sculpt. He is a modified 'Scape sculpt, one of the gladiators, and Filthy's step by step guide to creating Priscus can be found here.

One thing I really wrestled with was whether I could vote to induct a sculpt that takes so much customization. So I read Filthy's instructions and realized something: His *only* change to the sculpt is the clipping off of the end of the sword. The rest is paint - red crest, darker clothes - making him almost identical in this way to Samuel Brown.

Another thing about the sculpt and competitive play: In the case of Samuel Brown, it's the rule for my events (see House Rules in my sig) that any 4th will do, provided it's distinguishable from others you may have in play. Extending the same rule to Priscus leads to an absurdly simple solution for an acceptable proxy: Just use Spartacus. They'll never be in the same army, so why not? Food for thought for the TDs out there.

Anyway. As I said, Priscus is very thematic and an overdue & welcome addition to the Gladiator faction.

I played with him a number of times on a few different maps and each time he played exactly as I believe Filthy intended him to. With 4 defense and 5 life he's reasonably durable but certainly not Spartacus or Crixus; with an attack aura of 4 hexes Crixus *loves* him but with no defense boost the Gladiators do not become too strong.

Filthy also duplicated the OM mechanic from Spartacus onto Priscus, so players are forced to choose one or the other even at very high point totals, or make a significant sacrifice by putting a 1, 2 or 3 on one of the heroes.

I think he may have worked as low as 100 points. Not lower, and definitely not higher.

This is a well balanced, clever, thematic, well-written card, concept and sculpt. I am pleased to vote yes to induct Filthy the Clown's Priscus into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =