View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Sniffing about a bit and realized Don Coscarelli is the man behind this film and one other very impressionable movie of my youth, The Beastmaster! Okay, his legacy is secured in my filmography fan book.
I loved the Beastmaster. It was on cable a while back, but I missed a lot of it.i really need to track down a copy of that.
My friend and I were twelve when it was released and his parents took us to see it in the theater. Action-packed and very dark in subject matter. Quite a cusp of subject matter at that age: death-ready cultists, village massacres, child sacrifice, ear-wormed crazed BDSM-ish freaks, Wertham ocular injury, bird-worshipping bat-gaunts with acidic death-hugs for unwary travelers, and Tanya Roberts. Oh man, what entertainment for boys!

Roberts made a lasting impression on our youth. One of our friends secured a copy of that year's Playboy issue featuring her in all her glory. Dizzying days indeed.

Months before , I had seen The Sword and the Sorcerer which was equally dark and creepy in certain sequences, but nowhere near as entertaining as The Beastmaster to come.

Just a smattering of Eighties swords 'n sorcery films.
What a time to be a kid:
Hawk the Slayer (1980)
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Dragonslayer (1981)
Excalibur (1981)
The Beastmaster (1982)
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)
Fire and Ice (1983)
Krull (1983)