View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2021, 02:29 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Middle of No-Where Customs (4/6/21... WULFING updates!)

Working on some updates, the current draft hasn't been completely sunk in the SoV process yet (awaiting votes). I'm brainstorming with the feedback I've received though. Here is where I am at currently:

CARD TEXT:

WULFLING HUNTERS

GENERAL = ULLAR
PLANET = FEYLUND
SPECIES = WULFLING
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = HUNTERS
PERSONALITY = FEARSOME
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 1

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 50

HUNTER HERO PACK BONDING
Before taking a turn with the Wulfling Hunters, you may take a turn with an unengaged Hunter Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with a Hunter Hero, you may move and attack with up to four Wulfling Hunters.

STEALTHY 3
When an unengaged Wulfling Hunter is attacked with a normal or special attack, add 3 defense dice to the defending Wulfling.

I think this version addresses any concerns that just flat out no hitzones was bringing up. It is good vs ranged but not a complete shut down, the last thing I would want to do is just make the game completely unfun for someone that likes to play with ranged units (even though they make it unfun for me lol).

The question is, what to do with the current Pack Bonding. I think it serves a purpose correctly but if it gets shot down completely the problem statement is: How to provide meaningful support to Hunter Heroes without using an extra turn.

I did an analysis of all the varying types of support that are currently in Heroscape and compared it to what Hunters need. What I confirmed is that Hunters are designed to 1. move fast and 2. hit hard. They often have problems surviving so three paths exist, A. make hunters better at what they do (which is what extra turns do) B. compensate for their weaknesses. C. Give hunters something that they do no otherwise have access to that is within the theme of the Wulfling unit.

I think that the best way for the Wulfings to operate is to make Hunters better at what they do, and looking through my binder of units and notes I came across an ability that I designed a long time ago and re-fitted it to be part of the Wulfing toolkit:

PACK TACTICS
Hunters attacking a figure already engaged with a Wulfing Hunter may add 1 additional die to their attack roll.

This offers passive support to hunters and strengthens what they already like to do, which is kill things. This should be thematic in the respect that you can see Hunters helping other hunters, and it shouldn't be enough of a boost that you would rush in during one turn and then refuse to attack in order to get the boost on the next turn. However, it would provide some incentive for actually using a Hunter Hero or mixing them in with other Hunter squads because it will work with ANY Hunter to include themselves. It's a teamwork mechanic.

However, if the ability to interact directly with Hunter Heroes will diminish then I would still like to be able to mass them as a 4 man squad in some instances. I think I can circle back around to earlier designs with this and make some older things make sense in a new light.

WULFLING HUNTERS

GENERAL = ULLAR
PLANET = FEYLUND
SPECIES = WULFLING
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = HUNTERS
PERSONALITY = FEARSOME
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 1

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 50

WULF PACK
Each turn you must choose to Search for Prey or Kill Prey. If you Search for Prey then you may move up to 4 Wulfling Hunters but only attack with up to 2. If you Kill Prey then you may attack with up to 4 Wulfling Hunters but only move with up to 2.

PACK TACTICS
Hunters attacking a figure that is engaged with a Wulfling Hunter may add 1 additional die to their attack roll.

STEALTHY 3
When an unengaged Wulfling Hunter is attacked with a normal or special attack, add 3 defense dice to the defending Wulfling.

I think this provides some good story telling on the card, without the need for their bio but the bio will still enhance it. This preserves good, plain thematic abilities for hunting and it still creates a useful playstyle that doesn't involve running away. Theoryscaping from my end says that you will develop this army slowly due to being a 2 man unit, then you have the ability to "bite back" if you get engaged and act as a 4 man whenever you survive any attacks.

This does mean that you may want to function as a 4 man but it will require you to survive an attack so you can provide some backup. It has the bones of a lot of the original idea still which is surprising but they can act like support for other builds. I think this would be profitable to test and have ready for when I get yay/nay votes for what is currently in the SoV.

Last edited by Shiftrex; April 15th, 2021 at 04:18 PM.