View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
The last items were actually the first ones I made. I didn't yet have the RTFF set yet and wanted some trees for LOS blockers. While going through my old Weapons and Warriors sets I came across a package of trees.

Thier were 7 'flat' trees in that they were 3-D but the branches only came out of the trunk along a straight axis. So I cut the branches off of 3 of the trees and pinned them to the remaining 4 trees. I did this by drilling a small hole into the end of the branches as well as in the tree trunk where I wanted the branches to go. I then used wire cutters to snip a paperclip into a few small lengths and used the wire to support the new branches. I glued it all together using superglue and then used my contour putty to fill in the gaps and smooth it all out. I now had 3-D trees.

I tend to experiment a bit when I paint so the tree trunks are different combos of colors. The technique was the same with one coat of one color (over a balck base coat) followed by a different color dry brushed over top.

After painting them I picked up some clump foilage from a local model train hobby store. I glued the foilage pieces to the branches until I was happy with how it looked. You will also notice that on one I added some of my grass through out to give it a two colored leaf effect.

As for the base, I drilled a hole into the bottom of the trunk and a hole into the center of the hex tile. This was done before paining began. Then I used a small nail to secure it in place and glued it all together after I was finished painting the tree trunks.

I made one double and 2 singles out of the 4 trees I had. I used the grass to cover the hex base and added a few small stones for effect. While I really like how they turned out, after seeing some of the other trees done on here I want to eventually make some bigger ones.

Last edited by Yodaking; December 17th, 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: relinking pics