View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:59 AM

General J is surprisingly tart
Re: The Tabletop Simulator Mod needs YOUR help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
The work we do on the 3d models is free to use. If you want to use the 3d models we did for your project, please do. I see on your project page that you used lot of @White Knight model on 123 Catch, white knight is in fact one of the two main contributor for 3d model in the HexScape project

I also saw you have loading time problem. The model we use in HexScape had their number of face reduced to prevent, at least limit this problem. We also clean the model (repair hole, cut out excess parts, remove the base and put a clean one, lot of work indead)

You seems to have multiple texture problem. what you need to do is to make a new UV Map in blender, and then bake the textures into a new unique texture for the whole model. We do that in order to have an unique texture, and to reduce the size because 123 Catch textures tends to have lot of part not used, and can be big !

For the models, we now have all wave 4, wave 5, a big part of MS2, Wave 9, MS3, Wave 10 and Wave 11

We then package the model into a HexScape Asset file, but it is a simple .zip file, the model can be used easilly.

Perhaps you could join the process to speed it for both of our projects !

Your project looks interesting ! Is there way on TTS to emulate hidden order marker (that the opponent cannot see) ? How do you import the map ? I didn't see image of map on your project site. It should be super cool to be able to really roll the dice in 3D. It is something I will want to do on HexScape !
Thanks for replying so soon! I'll reply in order of your posts:

The massive load time is not due to the polycount of the models, rather the mod I made specifically loads up all the models + all the card images at the same time. In fact, all Tabletop Simulator .obj's have to be <512kb which usually equals around 4.5k Polys. There are ways around this, such as putting the cards and figures into physical "bags", and then each custom object is quickly loaded every time it's pulled out for the first time, which is the ideal route, but I personally like having a big ol' drafting table where I can see everything. Even if it means a longer load time.

Yeah see that's the wall that I've come to. I know that that's what needs to be done but I can't find a good workflow to do it efficiently or effectively. I just don't know how to do this step right.

Wow! And I only thought you guys had Wave 4 done. That's really a good thing to hear and I'm really glad you all are helping support Heroscape in this way. I just got my friends into Heroscape and they love the historical-based units. They'll be stoked to hear that you got those ones covered!

Yes! I would love to help! Tomorrow I will prepare a .zip of all of the models I've touched on. They are not to the HexScape standard of uniform bases, but I can promise you that the models work texture wise and they'll be an easier pass than what you probably deal with straight from 123D Capture. I also have amassed a library of HD Unit cards from manually remaking them in Magic Set Editor, if you're interested in that as well.

On the topic of Tabletop Simulator:
Yes, there is a "hidden" system in TTS. You can draw a foggy box on the board where everything dragged into it is hidden to everyone else except the player's color that matches that box. The turn marker tokens are flat, like cards. Typically you would drag your turn markers into the hidden box, flip them over, then drag them back onto your army cards. The only downside to this is that you have to remember what your order was since you can't see it either.

There is no way to import maps into TTS. I, and anyone else who's uploaded maps, have taken the single 1 hex tiles (no awesome giant grass blocks), and individually reconstructed the maps piece by piece using the normal physical build maps as guides. Here is the Workshop link for the map I remade in TTS: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=505043539

Tabletop Simulator is awesome and I love it, but at the end of the day there are honest downsides under the surface-level coolness to physical dice rolling and the custom content library. I think there are many benefits to both HexScape, and Tabletop Simulator as a medium for Heroscape. So the more the merrier right?