View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: AotP Question Dump

Now that I've solitaired the game in all three formats/maps (for a total of five games) and also played five face to face duels, its time to try and nail down some concepts and rules. As others have commented, while the Scape rules modules are tight, the MTG sections leave much unsaid. I'm only asking questions here that I'm not sure about; others we have successfully decided/inferred how to play. Here we go...my own proposed answers are in parentheses.

1. Can army card abilities be used on a turn in addition to a 'regular' die attack? Does this include army card abilities which do damage like attacks?

"Each figure can attack only once... Some figures have abilities that allow them to attack more than once." (How To Attack p. 7). Since this game does not use Special Attacks, I'd guess yes. An example would be Liliana Snuff Out. (Yes).

2. Here I'm going to bundle several questions and specific card references in search of a missing general rule on Spell Card use.

Can spell cards of one color be assigned to army cards of another?

In the case of harmful effects, the answer is clearly yes, as they are meant to be played on other players, including other Planeswalkers (PWs). An example would be Lilliana's Crippling Blight. But...

A) Can those of beneficial effects bonus up other color/mana army cards for another player? (Yes).

B) What about team games--can you play cards on your ally to aid them for beneficial effect? (Yes).

C) Can Misdirection (Blue) be played to reassign a card of a different color? Can it be played on another player? Could, say, it move a green spell card assigned to a green army card onto a target white army card? (Yes and yes).

D) For Blue's Talent of the Telepath, when you actually play another player's/color's card, can it affect any target, including its original owner? (Yes).

In general, it seems that anything goes, except for cards which specify a user's, card's, or target's color, such that it can't be played by you if you are not of that color. (Red's cards are particularly protected this way in general). So the missing general rule might go something like this:

Any Spell Card played by another color Planeswalker has its original effect against any color target, including its own. This is not allowed if a specific color is required for its use other than that of the player using it.

3. Can you play an Enchantment on a squad not yet summoned? This is a controversy on boardgamegeek, where some say yes and some no. (I'd say no).

4. Can you cast spells during Step 1 of the Turn, even if later you do not choose your Planeswalker as your army card to be activated? (Yes; otherwise why is this step included?)

5. Can you cast spells during Turn Actions 3 and 6 if you have not previously selected your Planeswalker as your activated army card this turn? (No)?

These last two could be ruled as follows under such a missing general rule such as: During Turn Action 1 you may use any Spell Card, but after you have chosen your activated card for that turn, then in Turn Actions 3 and 6 you may only use Spell Cards if you have previously chosen your Planeswalker that turn during Action 2.

6. Can Restless Zombies attempt to return to the board from your Graveyard if the Black Plainswalker player has lost his Planeswalker?

(No. Because the RZ Army Card here is worded "At the start of the tun of a black Planeswalker you control").

Note that a Flamewing Phoenix could likewise not return after the Red PW is killed, as no Sorcery card could be discarded. Or could it? Without you PW you can't play one, but since the rules don't tell you technically to discard your remaining spell cards after your PW is killed, can you discard one that had already been drawn into your hand? (No).

7. Are wounds kept on your creatures if they are sent off the table?

(Yes, if sent back to your Reserve, no if sent to your Graveyard).

8. Are assigned Enchant Squad Spell Cards treated the same? (Yes).

9. The Red Circle of Flame card reads "Deal 1 damage to target figure adjacent to a figure you control that has one or more damage markers. Who must be previously damaged, your target or your figure? (Your figure;otherwise it would have been written differently).