View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:46 AM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Help Playtesting a Powerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Blood View Post
Ragnarok
Ancients
Demigod
Unique Hero
Overlord
Terrifying
Medium 5
Life 10
Move 10
Range 1
Attack 10
Defense 10
Points 500 (I think its around this not sure though.)

Thorian Superspeed- Opponents' figures must be adjacent to Ragnarok to attack him.

Disengage- Ragnarok is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Blood Hungry Special Attack- Range 1. Attack 6. If Ragnarok's Blood Hungry Special Attack destroys a figure, Ragnarok may attack again with Blood Hungry Special Attack. Ragnarok may continue attacking with Blood Hungry Special Attack until he does not destroy a figure.

I would probably recommend Morsbane to get rid of those special powers.
Thanks, to whoever decides to help me out!
Yeah, but then you actually have to put markers on Morsbane, which is a pretty useless proposition at the best of times, let alone when this guy has markers on him.

I think 500 is still too few points. This guy's invulnerable to range, so think of the equivalently costed melee armies that could take him down.

The default new Gladiator army, 3x Capuans w Sparty and Crixus: the Capuans can at most get 6 of 9 guys adjacent, if you leave no room for Crixus. According to Sisyphus' tables, Ragnaroks blood hungry attack at 6 causes 1.77 wounds per attack; that's possibly every single Capuan around him dead with one marker. That's if he doesn't decide to waltz away and assasinate Spartacus first, to unboost the Capuans and make them easier to deal with. obviously, he just leaves Crixus for last. Things might get a little easier if you throw Retiarus so he can try net trip and bypass that massive defense in for 590 points, but that means that Ragnarok should cost around that much. But he's still always free to disengage, and the gladiators can't keep up. Capuans have .22 chances of causing a wound per attack, only a little more if they actually put a hero into the fray.

If Ragnarok never once deigns to attack them, Alistair, MacDirks x4, and random filler of 70 pts could do some damage if Alistair overextends alot. But if Ragnarok even sort of tries, Blood Hungry does 2.35 wounds per attack, 2.05 on Alistair if he's left adjacent and Rag saves him for last. If Rag just decides to assasinate him, 10 attack does 4.33 wounds in general, so Alistair only has around 2 turns to do what damage he may.

Knights of Weston fare no better than boosted Capuans, drop like flies to Blood Hungry. They get a .105 chance to wound Ragnarok.

Then there are the Gladiatrons, who lose their major asset in that the Blastatrons are useless against this guy. At least they can lock him down, but blood hungry still kills 1.77 per attack, while they can only offer .04 wounds per figure.

Next there are the less normal melee squads, like Deathstalkers. They also do .105 damage per turn, but with x5 of them you have a few chances to roll all skulls and take him down. Then again, you might not. In any event, blood hungry still cause more than one wound per attack at 1.51.

You could try Marrden hounds x5 with 50 points filler. They also only do .105 damage per attacking figure, but each also has a 25% chance to do an unblockable wound on Ragnarok, with 15 figures plus filler it might be enough. They have the same weakness to blood hungry the Stalkers do.

Can't really think of any more purely squad builds you could try, your chances seem to decrease pretty rapidly from there.

Something like:
Iskra 50
Rechets 50
Gladiatrons x2 160 (to keep him locked down while you try to summon; only have one adjacent to him at a time)
Marrdenhounds x2 180
Deadeye 60
might kill him if you get lucky, either with the Rechets rolling 3 skulls, the hounds all hitting plague, or deadey oneshotting him, but that's a lot to ask in this case, and an order marker nightmare. If you mess up order markers on the gladiatrons even once, he's gone, and is assasinating your units one at a time while you try and catch him.
You could try Deathstalkers instead of the hounds and Deadeye, but that leaves you with 40 points of filler, nothing less than 40 points has any shot of helping you.

To sum it all up, I can't think of any configuration of 500 points that even comes close to killing this guy easily, without relying on the fickle d20. I say he's 650-700 easy, and if you take Necro's advice and give him some way to avoid auto-wound or -destroy powers, 1000, because that's how many points you're going to need to kill him alone, let alone whatever army you give him. A smart player is always going use this guy's phenomanal move, disengage, and invulnerability to ranged fire to avoid being surrounded, except when he's almost guaranteed to wipe out a squad or more with blood hungry. I would be willing to take this guy and Kelda against nearly any 800 point army you could name in a heartbeat. I might even be able to actually test that, I'll post again if so.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs